2nd fatality on Vancouver Island in just over a week!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob1967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yikes! Two fatalities in just over a week! This time a 60 year old guy.

Someone already started a thread regarding the 15 year old boy who drowned near Comox while scuba diving with his father. Here is the link:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...hap-near-courtenay-claims-victoria-youth.html

Here is the second:

Diver's body recovered off Domville Island

Diver's body recovered off Domville Island

By Ann Hui, Times ColonistAugust 9, 2009

The body of a diver who went missing early Sunday afternoon has been recovered off Domville Island.

According to navy Lt. Paul Pendergast, the man, about 60, was scuba diving near Domville Island with a group of seven others when he went missing at about 1 p.m.

The Victoria Rescue Co-ordination Centre was notified, and both the Canadian and U.S. Coast Guards began their search immediately.

The man’s body was recovered about three hours later, at 4 p.m.

The man’s identity has not yet been released, but Pendergast said that he is not from the Victoria region.

Domville Island is about five kilometres east of Sidney.

Sidney RCMP are investigating.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

I wonder if anyone has more info on this....

I heard this unravel on VHF channel 16 on Sunday around 13:00
Mayday advised diver had surfaced possibly with at least 2 other divers, diver was swept away from boat by current. The other divers that had surfcaed were on the boat. Two other divers were still in the water and the boat was waiting for them to surface and so was unable to assist. Coast guard and mayday switched to cell phone communication so was unable to follow further.

Very sorry to hear the outcome.

Welcome to SB, AK...
Mayday advised diver had surfaced....
I've read of so many accidents here where a diver had surfaced, then was lost. If a diver never practices dumping weights, I can see where a possible panic could push reactions to fighting rather than remembering to drop lead. I know the tidal currents in the San Juans can be wicked; suppose they can be similar there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom