24 hours in Singapore....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the info. Forgot about Helix bridge. Good tips on the MBS elevator.

I’m under no illusions that we will be able to do it all (or maybe any, we went to Fiji and that first night was rough, and this is worse). I figure out hotel won’t be ready at 7 am or whatever time we clear customs so plan is dump the luggage, get into an airport shower and see how we feel. We will have to sleep somewhere during that day, so the nap area or a lounge. I’d really prefer to see the light shows

Thanks all for the info. Forgot about Helix bridge. Good tips on the MBS elevator.

I’m under no illusions that we will be able to do it all (or maybe any, we went to Fiji and that first night was rough, and this is worse). I figure out hotel won’t be ready at 7 am or whatever time we clear customs so plan is dump the luggage, get into an airport shower and see how we feel. We will have to sleep somewhere during that day, so the nap area or a lounge. I’d really prefer to see the light shows
If you are not flying in on weekend, then take the MRT (purple line) to Harbour Front (the end station). From the MRT station you will ascend up to Vivocity. Go to the 3rd level and take the Sentosa Express. Take it to the Beach Station (last station) and there will be a Sentosa Beach Tram (free) that you can take to Tanjong Beach. Go to Tanjong Beach Club for meal, drinks, and grab a daybed just nap or lounge.
Tanjong Beach Club

Chili crab!

Wot? :eek:
Black pepper crab (or even fish head soup) definitely wins over that grossly sweetened dish in my french foodie book.
As soon as I first tasted it with its unbalanced mantou buns, the Chili Crab myth went down. :wink:

But do start at Telok Ayer market (aka Lau Pa Sat). It's open 24/7 and has both good food and an interesting structure.
I do find that Newton hawker centre has more varied local food. Caters to both locals and tourists, unlike Lau Pa Sat which I think has evolved now to mainly targeting tourists.

Black pepper crab (or even fish head soup) definitely wins over that grossly sweetened dish in my french foodie book.

As soon as I first tasted it with its unbalanced mantou buns, the Chili Crab myth went down. :wink:
LOL. I will second that. Chili crab is a bit too over the top and I did not find the taste appealing. If I were to pick:
1) White pepper crab (Go to No Signboard in Geylang)
2) Black pepper crab (Any Long Beach outlet or Eng Seng at Eunos)
3) Chili crab if you must for novelty sake

I do find that Newton hawker centre has more varied local food. Caters to both locals and tourists, unlike Lau Pa Sat which I think has evolved now to mainly targeting tourists.

Actually, Lau Pa Sat is more catered to the office workers in the surrounding buildings given that it sits in the center of CBD. But the Satay Street behind it is definitely the tourist trap.

Newton Food Court is more touristy and from time to time you will also see tour buses dropping off tour groups. But Newton does have a much better atmosphere. Unfortunately, it is a tourist trap as well so just be extra careful when you order.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but anyone interested, PM me for the stalls for visit at Newton.

I agree! Chili crab is sort of the iconic Singapore crab dish, and I didn’t want to complicate the general point, which is to eat well in Singapore.

I also tried white pepper crab. I much prefer the black pepper.

Newton Food Court is more touristy and from time to time you will also see tour buses dropping off tour groups. But Newton does have a much better atmosphere. Unfortunately, it is a tourist trap as well so just be extra careful when you order.
Ok so for the sake of foodies traveling in Singapore, advise which hawker center you'd recommend first.
Some of us don't care going the extra mile.

If you are not flying in on weekend, then take the MRT (purple line) to Harbour Front (the end station). From the MRT station you will ascend up to Vivocity. Go to the 3rd level and take the Sentosa Express. Take it to the Beach Station (last station) and there will be a Sentosa Beach Tram (free) that you can take to Tanjong Beach. Go to Tanjong Beach Club for meal, drinks, and grab a daybed just nap or lounge.
Tanjong Beach Club

we’re actually landing 6 am Easter Sunday.

This is turning into a typical Singapore discussion. The residents are famously picky about their food and everyone has favorites stalls or restaurants for each of the regional specialties.

If you have the time and interest, it's worth the effort to seek out the various spots and build your own list. But for a jetlagged tourist who also wants to see some of the city, it's all likely to be too much. I recommended Telok Ayer/Lau Pa Sat because it has interesting architecture, the food is good enough to get Singaporean's general approval, and it's in a good location for a walking tour of the city.

Ok so for the sake of foodies traveling in Singapore, advise which hawker center you'd recommend first.
Some of us don't care going the extra mile.
Just some places to check out:

Newton
Tiong Bahru
Telok Ayer
Tekka Food Center
ABC Redbrick Havelock Road
Alexandra Village Food Center

Some requires a bit more navigation. But for quick jaunt to Singapore, the top four will be suffice.

Back
Top Bottom