21w Lithium ion powered salvo lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Like with any new and changing technology, you gotta jump in sometime.

I must say, the light has enhanced my diving experience perhaps more than any other piece of gear.

yeah i guess il just bite the bullet. seems like the HIDS are here to stay and the leds are half a decade away:wink:

I for one am NOT buying a $1500 light every 2-4 years. :)

But then again, my laptop is 5 years old and my cell phone is going on 3.

JimC:
I for one am NOT buying a $1500 light every 2-4 years. :)

But then again, my laptop is 5 years old and my cell phone is going on 3.

i change my cellphone twice year, hoping that when i take the plunge on the hids that the technology lasts at least 5 years

JimC:
My perfect world light would be a can-less carbon battery with an LED lamp all on a goodman handle. It would be about the size of an 18W hid+balast, throw about the same light and run for about 10 hours between charges. 5 years or so away, I would say.

Hello JimC,

Metalsub R & D is working on it. Right now we sell a 15 Watt LED head for our XL7.2 light that is almost as bright as a 10 Watt HID. The 15 Watt LED puts out 435 Lumens at 6000° where a 10 Watt HID puts out 450 Lumens 6000°. The problem with LED technology today is you have to use more wattage than an HID to produce the same light output, so it’s a trade-off, super robust bulb but less burn time.

Poly Li-ion and Li-ion batteries will find there way more and more into dive lamps, but HID will still be the number one light source for many years to come. Today’s HID’s can produce 100 Lumes per watt, where the max. for white LEDs is between 30-40 Lumens per watt.

When LED’s catch up to HID’s in light output we will put them in more of our lights.

Metalsub USA:
Hello JimC,

Metalsub R & D is working on it. Right now we sell a 15 Watt LED head for our XL7.2 light that is almost as bright as a 10 Watt HID. The 15 Watt LED puts out 435 Lumens at 6000° where a 10 Watt HID puts out 450 Lumens 6000°. The problem with LED technology today is you have to use more wattage than an HID to produce the same light output, so it’s a trade-off, super robust bulb but less burn time.

Poly Li-ion and Li-ion batteries will find there way more and more into dive lamps, but HID will still be the number one light source for many years to come. Today’s HID’s can produce 100 Lumes per watt, where the max. for white LEDs is between 30-40 Lumens per watt.

When LED’s catch up to HID’s in light output we will put them in more of our lights.

I need to make a small upate on the information in the above posting.

The Metalsub 15 Watt LED head puts out 437 Lumens at 5500° K

Metalsub USA:
Hello JimC,

Which is why I said in a few years. Both Li-* and LED technologies are racing ahead. Lithium carbon batteries they are playing with in labs are sweet, boasting something like 10 times the energy density of li-ion. 3 AAA cells should boast something like 10Ah, with 100 times the charge and discharge rate.. this means you can bring them to full charge in about 5 minutes. Slap that together with the LED of the future and you have one sexy, compact, indestructible light.

Until then, my 10W HID and correctly designed NiMH pack should still be kicking along with less than 10% capacity loss. I will have to buff the reflector someday soon tho.

I was reading about Li-Poly batteries and saw this on wikipedia:

The lithium in a Li-Poly cell is hazardous and will react violently with water. Under no circumstances should the cell be punctured or exposed to water.

That brings a whole new edge to light failure situations.

SeanQ:
I was reading about Li-Poly batteries and saw this on wikipedia:

That brings a whole new edge to light failure situations.
That is correct sir!
I used to be in the battery biz in my former life. We had a "D" size primary lithium (non rechargeable) that required a hazmat sticker to ship just one!

Course if you dead short a fully charged rechargeable battery of any chemistry its gonna make a lot of heat & mess...

Back
Top Bottom