21w Lithium ion powered salvo lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimC:
The main reason they use Li-poly in a cell phone is because they can shape them into a flat rectangular shape. Li-ion are a different beast than Li-ion and like NiMH have to be in a "battery" like cylinder shape. Laptops get Li-ion them because they are expensive to begin with and consumers really fuss over weight, or Li-poly because they can make the whole laptop smaller.

Oh, and they get to charge you $300 for a 6 cell replacement battery. :)

Li-ion: 110-160 Wh/kg
Li-poly: 100-130 Wh/kg
NiMH: 60-120 Wh/kg

Li-poly have about twice the energy density / space than Li-ion and NiMH due to shape restrictions.
The control circuit required for Li-* consume some of the energy, slightly reducing there energy density advantage.

thanks so your saying that the only negative aspect of li-ion is the price of replacement and its losing 20% of its capacity regardless of use? those are pretty big minuses.

Yeah, I don't believe Li-ion is the correct battery for most dive light applications.

Say 50 cycles/year of diving, expect something like this in terms of capacity. Remember, Li-ion @ 80% should have about the same capacity as the NiMH at 100%. Assumes ALL manufacturers suggested use guides are followed.

0year 1year 2year 3year 4year
Li-ion: 100% 80% 60% new battery
NiMH : 100% 99% 98% 97% 96%

All of this info is public domain, manufacturers specs stuff.

JimC:
My perfect world light would be a can-less carbon battery with an LED lamp all on a goodman handle. It would be about the size of an 18W hid+balast, throw about the same light and run for about 10 hours between charges. 5 years or so away, I would say.

Aiiii ya yai...

I though that Li ion was the next best thing... apparently not.

I think I prefer the lights in your perfect world LOL!

SangP

Did I mention in my perfect world, you could re-charge the battery in about 2 minutes?

This stuff exists, its basically the next evolution of Li-poly technology. They are bragging almost 10 times the energy density and 100 times the charge and discharge rates. There are also cars in experimental stages that have 5 hours worth of battery power and come up to 80% charge in 5 minutes on the horizon.

Li-* IS the future, the future isn't commercial available - yet.

Spoon:
rick,

what is your 21w salvo? is it the one with the sealed lighthead with the ballast located in it? or is it the one with the remote open lighthead with the bulb protected by testube and ballast in the can?
Late reply:

It's the open lighthead with the bulb protected by testube and ballast. Like the 21w you're looking at. Everything except the battery and switch is in your hand.

JimC:
Yeah, I don't believe Li-ion is the correct battery for most dive light applications.

Say 50 cycles/year of diving, expect something like this in terms of capacity. Remember, Li-ion @ 80% should have about the same capacity as the NiMH at 100%. Assumes ALL manufacturers suggested use guides are followed.

0year 1year 2year 3year 4year
Li-ion: 100% 80% 60% new battery
NiMH : 100% 99% 98% 97% 96%

All of this info is public domain, manufacturers specs stuff.

barry mentioned in the deco stop that the battery still had about 80% capacity after 300 charge cycles. depending on use this seems ok already but like you mentioned the nimh seem more appropriate for dive lights

In 4 years, the battery technology will be such that the battery and ballast will all fit in the goodman handle making canisters obsolete for much diving application.

I would not worry about a battery that might need replacement 4 years out. Whatever light I get next, I'd assume it will be obsolete in a handful of years.

jagfish:
In 4 years, the battery technology will be such that the battery and ballast will all fit in the goodman handle making canisters obsolete for much diving application.

Maybe not that soon, but who knows. LED's are on a rapid development path too. Megga bucks being spent on R&D.

jagfish:
I would not worry about a battery that might need replacement 4 years out. Whatever light I get next, I'd assume it will be obsolete in a handful of years.

A realist!

Tobin

jagfish:

just like the nokia phones. rendered obsolete every 6 months. at this rate i will never be happy. should i just wait for the next wave of lights?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom