215 to nowhere, DUI 30/30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dawktah

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

Been a while since my last post and also since I've been in the water, 6 months! :(

Back in 2006 I purchased an overstock off the shelf DUI tropical 30/30 drysuit that I only dove only once in 2006. I was supposed to take it on an additional dive the next day but didn't, due to the weather. Since then I have been diving wet (Virgin Islands) and I am now also happily married. When I bought the suit since it fit snug to my 215 lbs. frame. Size XL. Well, I now weigh 244 lbs. :11: and have begun dieting. :sprite10: In order for this suit to fit right, I need to lose 45 lbs. If I accomplish this goal great but if I don't? I'm turning 43 next month. :bday: Reality check...

Anybody have one of these suits? Its supposed to fit closer than regular suits, so should I buy another one for my 244 lbs frame and stay on diet and lose for better health and try to sell old suit on-line? 45 lbs is a significant change in physique, will a suit for a 244 lbs. guy have poor fit and buoyancy characteristics once I lose 20-30-45 lbs.? The other thing is the suit has p-valve which I never used, but nobody will believe me. What are my chances of selling it?

I do get cold quickly in 85 degree water so I need to dive dry. Honestly, I think I need more insulation than the standard fleece undergarment that came with it. Maybe a long sleeve wicking base layer?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

--Chris

As of today's date I am now 241.5 lbs. 42 lbs to go by October 28th!

Well eveyone I did not meet the deadline, however I have lost as of today's date 38.5 lbs! I can clearly fit in the drysuit! So selling it will not be necessary. I will however continue to lose weight until I am near 165 lbs.

Can anyone give me any ideas of issues that may develop if its a little too large? I can't imagine there would be!

Safe Diving!

Chris

Well eveyone I did not meet the deadline, however I have lost as of today's date 38.5 lbs! I can clearly fit in the drysuit! So selling it will not be necessary. I will however continue to lose weight until I am near 165 lbs.

Can anyone give me any ideas of issues that may develop if its a little too large? I can't imagine there would be!

From what you've said, it sounds like the suit will be quite baggy at when you drop down to 165 lbs. Congratulations, by the way!

A baggy suit will allow the bubble of air to shift rapidly in the suit which can be a chore to manage.

Using very little air in the suit will help, but that will make it less comfortable and less warm.

You'll quickly find out if it's too large for your new physique.... :)

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom