21% Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good for you. I have been diving my Cobra for over 20 years and it has never missed a beat. I would buy it again if I had a do over.

And this seems to present the question: why does a nitrox capable computer even have an "air" mode?

Could be they had an air-only model and decided it's cheaper to keep it and tackle on nitrox as a completely independent subsystem. I've seen it happen with other software but I'm having a real hard time beleiving someone would do that in this case: "nitrox" mode is a proper superset of "air" and I can't think of any reason to do that except a complete total absence of clue. (Edit: @EFX: battery drain from an extra segment on a TN display is somewhere between infinitesimal and negligible.)

FWIW on mine "nitrox" O2% is settable between 22 and 50 and O2 toxicity is tracked all the time, regardless of the "mode".

Which really sucks on a liveaboard, but better than reverting back to 79% N2 and 50% O2 like they used to. That’s the whole reason I got rid of all of my suuntos
It shouldn’t really be that hard to check and change your gas mix settings. If it is, the UI needs work. I would agree that reverting to normoxic Nitrox after a certain period isn’t necessary, and shows a lack of faith in the users. Which, to some extent, I get, but it’s not the responsibility of the computer manufacturer to babysit its customers. It’s their responsibility to make a computer that is easy to change those settings that are frequently changed.

Reverting to 21% without calculating as 79/50 could be a bit dangerous from a MOD perspective assuming the diver is as irresponsible as the manufacturer seems to suspect.

FWIW, I previously used a computer that would revert to 79/50 at some point. I can’t recall what that time limit was, though. I also never experienced this on a dive as I confirmed/changed the mix settings before each dive.

I typically only dive Nitrox when doing 3 or more in a day. Then if I am going back to 2 dives a day I'll just use air.

However I will dive Nitrox one day then dive 2 tanks air daily for a week but have to set for Nitrox at 21% not set for air.

Air is 21%Eanx. Wether it says Air or 21% is irrelevant. Most computers I have owned only display the O2% you are using.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom