2024 Newport, RI diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
Today was the first real dive of the season. I went for a dive at Kings Beach in Newport. We stopped and took a look at Green Bridge before heading to King's Beach. For any one that dives there, they have made some changes to the roadway. They've widened it on the side facing the ocean. To do that they dumped rocks to build out the causeway. To get to the beach entry, you have more rocks to climb over and they have not settled yet, so it is a bit more hairy than it used to be.

They also made a better kayak launch area farther up the road, which won't help divers, because it would be a much longer swim out.
At King's Beach, they improved t the walk down to the boat ramp by moving some rocks and building up the grade some. If you are a kayaker, this will make rolling your boat in and out much easier and the walk from the water to the car is much easier,too.
Mike and I were going to just do a single dive because I was diving wet with my 5mm and I hadn't filled my other tank from last week.

Fog was just coming in when we arrived and by the time we entered the water, we could barely see Bird Island. We headed out to the island on the bottom and followed the contour of the island at about 25-30 ft. The water temp dipped down to 54F when we went around the point (I turned the dive at that point because the I was starting to get chilled. Mike was diving dry).

Coming back in, when we were in about 10' of water, I surfaced to see where we were. I saw some rocks, but the fog was so heavy, we couldn't see the shore and looking back, Bird Island was barely visible. We weren't really sure which rocks we were looking at but when we were closer, we saw some people standing on rocks that are on the rights side of the cove. Total dive time was 48 minutes, with a max depth of 31'. Conditions couldn't have been better, visibility was about 30', dead calm. The fog was disorienting, so compass navigation was key.

We saw a couple of horseshoe crabs on the way in and plenty medium to smaller tautaug over the course of the dive.
On our way home we stopped by Wetherill to see what that was like and I saw the single nicest drysuit ever. It was a custom made Seaskin. The owner said it had about 40 dives and looked great. This was the drysuit I SHOULD have bought (I found out about them too late). Beautifully fit and less than a thousand dollars...

It was a little nippy. I could have done a second dive with an hour or two to warm up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom