Question 2023 Summer Meet Up in South Korea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joshua.d.vise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
I know our community of English-speaking divers in Korea is very small, but I think it would be fun to organize a one-day dive at some point in the summer. I don't think we would attempt anything too challenging or expensive, as this would be more about actually meeting face-to-face and kind of establish a community for us. Would anyone be interested? If so, please post location ideas and possible dates.

Hi all,
I know our community of English-speaking divers in Korea is very small, but I think it would be fun to organize a one-day dive at some point in the summer. I don't think we would attempt anything too challenging or expensive, as this would be more about actually meeting face-to-face and kind of establish a community for us. Would anyone be interested? If so, please post location ideas and possible dates.

Give me a couple months notice and I'll try to coordinate it with one of my trips over there for work! Met up with a cave diving buddy last year when I went over but we didn't go diving. More than happy to bring some gear and say I've dove over there!

What's the status on this meet up?
I spoke with Tim recently, and he is starting up the Expat Divers in Korea group again. It is now apparently a legit and registered business and he plans on organizing dive excursions for foreigners! That was how is started out 5 years ago but it turned into merely training dives for students and a focus on training them and diving the same spot again and again rather than fun and comradery of traveling and diving various places in Korea (which is what i understood to me its mission statement)

The problem with this however we found when I was working with him, is that its nearly impossible to plan a dive trip with enough lead time to get all the logistics handled, and hope and pray that the weather and ocean will be decent on that day. From personal experience I heard "William's Dive Against Debris events suck because they get canceled" because as it works out the day of dive there are waves to highto dive the site. Cant help it, but I get blamed for it~!
Any of us could plan a trip and lets say lets dive x spot on X day. I've been keen to organize one to Namhae but I have learned its better to just keep it small rather than try to provide a service to the community because if it doesn't work out...you will only hear negative feedback.

Anyone wanting to organize something, by all means let's give it a shot!

I had a survey posted, and got almost no response, so I thought I would focus solely on my own development. I think that the guys on this site that post are serious about diving. Unfortunately, the ones who regularly post on this Korea forum numbers about 4.

I had a survey posted, and got almost no response, so I thought I would focus solely on my own development. I think that the guys on this site that post are serious about diving. Unfortunately, the ones who regularly post on this Korea forum numbers about 4.
Cheer up. This kind of forum is a bit ancient. Divers love it because most of them are older and remember the days of Netscape.

Most people these days organize by facebook.

I’m also keen on the idea of a face-to-face to meet with any of you gentlemen or the other expat divers in Korea. It would be nice for once to use jargon like “open circuit” in a conversation and everyone be on the same page :drummer:

There’s Gamji Haebyeon Beach in Busan. I personally haven’t dove that site: I’ve done most of my diving on the northern-east coast and Jeju, but it appears to offer easy access to a shore entry and tank rental/fills on site.

Weather granting, I would be happy to meet up most weekdays or weekends from early July to mid-August to do some fun social, recreational diving :snorkel::snorkeler:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom