2022 Bonaire Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a microbrewery in town in 2016, the beer was good, I believe brewed on island, mostly European styles.

Edit:
Just checked, it is Bonaire Blond, and they do brew on island, in addition to importing. There is also a distillery over in Rincon they make a nice cactus juice cordial, to in addition to rum and other spirits.

There was a microbrewery in town in 2016, the beer was good, I believe brewed on island, mostly European styles
It’s now called La Cantina. I haven’t been back since they morphed into what I suppose is a brewpub, apparently serving food. Seems more like a restaurant, focusing on food, and less like a brewery now to me.

There is or was also a tiny place called Sugar Thief (named after the bird a/k/a the bananaquit) that purported to brew beer, mead, coffee and I don’t know what else. When I was on Bonaire in August last year I heard he had scaled back his offerings to items other than beer.

It’s now called La Cantina. I haven’t been back since they morphed into what I suppose is a brewpub, apparently serving food. Seems more like a restaurant, focusing on food, and less like a brewery now to me.

There is or was also a tiny place called Sugar Thief (named after the bird a/k/a the bananaquit) that purported to brew beer, cider, coffee and I don’t know what else. When I was on Bonaire in August last year I heard he had scaled back his offerings to items other than beer.
I think the restaurant next door and the brewery merged, website still presents them as two separate spaces sharing an umbrella if you will. I'll find out first person in July!

I'll find out first person in July!
My wife and I don't eat in restaurants very often on Bonaire (or here at home for that matter), but maybe we will venture over there on our next trip. Looks like typical pub grub, and we do appreciate the simple pleasure of pub grub and a beer after diving. The first time we visited that brewery, probably 2016, it was all brewed on site, and the brewer was all enthusiastic.

I get the impression brewing commercially on Bonaire just doesn't work out economically.

Heading down Wednesday, we were there in 2016 pork cheeks in the fries and on site brewed beer. Shame is didn't work out for them.

Was there in May of this year. Bonaire Blonde is open and doing well, as is Sugar Thief. If you are a craft beer person, dont miss the opportunity to visit Sugar Thief. Adam and his wife are wonderful hosts and their beers are superb. They tend to brew small batches and rotate them out quickly so it is always fresh. The meade is fantastic!

We are heading back to Bonaire for the first time since 2014.....I'm sure ALOT has changed. Nice reading this thread about some of the changes.

Oct 8 2022

Anybody else going that week?

We got back from our trip a little over a week ago, Much has changed and much has not. The reefs appeared very healthy for the most part. Although they have just confirmed the presence of stony coral disease at Karpata, and temporarily closed the site. Check with STINAPA for status.

Two Dive Sites Closed Due to Stony Tissue Disease

The build up of hotels and condo complex resorts it's getting troubling. The island seems to be going after nondividing tourists, and I'm concerned they are willing to throw divers under the bus to get them. Hopefully my concerns are unfounded, but time will tell.

The island seems to be going after nondividing tourists
I'm surprised they would try this, or have success, since I think most tourists would want sandy beaches. Would take some pretty drastic changes to do this, so fingers crossed they don't try too hard. I think the number that would come for kite boarding, surfing, and the other non-sandy-beach activities would be pretty small (and even kite boarders and surfers, the tourist type, probably prefer sandy beaches).

Back
Top Bottom