2015 Goliath Grouper Aggregation (Full Moon Dates)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soundfield

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to film the Goliath Grouper Aggregation in Palm Beach County, FL. There are 3 full moon dates to choose from and I would like to know which one of these dates would be the best one to choose? Full moon dates are: 8/29/15, 9/28/15 or 10/27/15.

Thanks for the help,

Adam D

August and September are most reliable. And, you can also plan to dive the new moon as well. The current thinking is that spawning takes place not long after sunset (no one has reliably filmed this, yet). But, the aggregation is all day long for a couple of months. You can hit the wrecks and see 40 fish or more on a good day (sometimes, a lot more).

Last year, in Boynton, we had a "second" aggregation occur on the Castor wreck only, in October. That was really unheard-of and very odd to only happen on one spot, but the action was crazy!

You didn't say how long you were staying, but I would center your trip on the August and September dates for the best odds.

August and September are most reliable. And, you can also plan to dive the new moon as well.... .

I agree with Guy,,,I'd pick the new moon phase. That would put you diving the morning of Sept 13, 2015.

And that also puts you in the prime peak of hurricane season, might want to get a quote from Travelguard.com while you are at it.

+1 on the September date(s) and a +1 on the hurricane planning

we typically see the height of the Goliath activity between the new and full moon phase in September. Last year was weird as guyharrison said. I have thought that last year we had more Goliaths than ever. Seemed me that the numbers are increasing (or I was just diving in the right place).

Of the two September dates (9/13, 9/28) what would be the best bet, or would anytime between these dates work?

And while you are at it can I have the winning lottery numbers...:D

Either date would be fine. More important is to get your trip centered around the actual full or new moon (put the new or full moon as the middle day of your diving, so you also get days before and after). However, if you can't make the actual new or full date work, then any time in the range you mentioned would be good as well.

You said you are going to film. You might try to line up a night trip (sometimes, operators offer them). I will tell you that it is very challenging diving: dark, deep 70-120 on most wrecks and very strong current. On one dive, we had to hang on to the wreck and do the "bottom crawl" in order to even barely move about without getting blown off the site. Only photos and videos I got were sheltering behind the wreck and waiting for the fish to come to me. But, I concentrated more on the dive. Safety first! If you don't have some experience with this combination of conditions, be careful. But, I see you have quite a few dives so I expect you are good to go.

I have to agree on the night dive for Goliath. I have said before on SB that the Goliath night dive that I did several years ago is among the top 5 of my all time favorite dives and hope to do it again one day. But the conditions were exactly as guyharrisonphoto described making it a hot drop as well. Worth it if you are comfortable with it.

Thanks for the reply's everyone, the information definitely helped.

+1 on the September date(s) and a +1 on the hurricane planning

we typically see the height of the Goliath activity between the new and full moon phase in September. Last year was weird as guyharrison said. I have thought that last year we had more Goliaths than ever. Seemed me that the numbers are increasing (or I was just diving in the right place).

What do you plan to do with your video?

The reason I ask is that I overheard a conversation involving a dive shop employee who filmed a very nice gathering last year and posted it on the shop web site. He took it down when he realized that fishermen who were opposed tot he protection of groupers were using it to support their position that groupers are around in abundance and should not be protected. They were implying that the video was showing a typical day in the Florida ocean teeming with Goliath groupers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom