2013 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I said a while ago that I thought FSU could beat Alabama on a neutral field (so long as their QB wasn't in prison), and I still think Alabama is a better team than Auburn despite the loss, so I have to back FSU for the title.

I'll be interested to see who Vegas instals as favourites.

FSU installed initially as an 8.5 point favourite. That's quite a spread.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2013 at 11:42 PM ----------

If this becomes the 8th year in a row for the SEC, we may have to have some marches or sit-ins or other protests to have the name changed to SEC Invitational Tournament. Or, maybe that's why they've decided to go to a pseudo playoff system. I just hope they aren't asinine enough to have SEC vs SEC in the first round. But then, if 3 out of 4 teams are from the SEC I suppose it can't be helped. :D

If you win seven in a row you get bragging rights, but the gulf between the SEC and the rest of the country has never been quite as wide as the SEC would like to pretend. If we can just do a quick recap of those seven victories:

• 2006, Florida over Ohio State. Yeah, that was an ass kicking. However although Florida played the #1 ranked team, they probably didn't play the best other team (see also: 2003). That year OSU and Michigan fought to a nail biting conclusion in their last match, and many thought they should rematch in the title game. But Florida hammered OSU in the title game, and USC hammered Michigan in the Rose Bowl. What would have happened if USC had played Florida? We will never know.
  • 2007, LSU over Ohio State. Looks like an ass kicking, but LSU came perilously close to losing this one. OSU were leading 10-0 when LSU fumbled a punt inside their own 20. If OSU had recovered that punt instead of LSU, who knows how differently it could have evolved.
  • 2008, Florida beats Oklahoma with a fair bit to spare.
  • 2009, Alabama beats Texas. Again, looks like an ass kicking. But Texas looked very good early (particularly on defence), especially after an ill judged fake punt by Nick Saban. But Colt McCoy gets knocked out of the game, and Alabama beats up on a Freshman QB.
  • 2010, Auburn overcome Oregon in a pretty even contest that was tied with under 3 minutes to go.
  • 2011, the all-SEC game. No arguments here.
  • 2012, Alabama destroys Notre Dame. No argument here either.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. To quote Sean Connery: "Losers whine about doing their best. Winners get to go home and **** the Prom queen." But to me the gulf has never been quite as big as SEC-land imagines.

Does the play-off system start this year? I've been a bit preoccupied with personal issues to really notice.

Doc, it will start next year and it will be a 4 team playoff. The playoff committee will select the teams and I think it will be a mix of computer ranking and committee voting to determine who goes to the playoff.

---------- Post added December 31st, 2013 at 10:49 PM ----------

But Florida hammered OSU in the title game, and USC hammered Michigan in the Rose Bowl. What would have happened if USC had played Florida? We will never know.

Dare I say that USC would've hammered the Gators? :catfight:

:D

Regardless, we'll never know and it would've been a great game.

Thank god the BCS system is ending this year.

College Football Playoff

---------- Post added December 31st, 2013 at 08:46 PM ----------

I normally pull for any SEC team against a non-conference team. But tonight I'm enjoying watching Duke give Texas A&M all they can handle ..... so far. 14 - 3.

Maybe UF can hire ALL of the Duke coaching staff, not just the OC. :D

---------- Post added December 31st, 2013 at 08:48 PM ----------

Duke D shutting down A&M O and then blocking a punt.

Good job Clemson! Keep those pesky Suckeyes lusting for an SEC win in a bowl.

Uhhhh....agreed, good job Clemson. But they're not in the SEC.

Sent from behind a pint of Guinness.

Oh Snap! Weren't they at one point? Am I simply having a senior moment, or as my doctor calls it, Insta-Gatoritis? Still, I was glad to see Urban defeated. Call it petty, but something about the way he left Florida doesn't sit well with me.

EDIT: A quick Wiki check and they have been a part of the ACC since '53. I guess I like the orange in their helmets. Needs more blue to really look nice, but it's a nice orange.

There were some outstanding bowl games this season. I love it when the suckeyes lose. They never play anyone during the season. Sparty spanking Standford, epic comeback by A&M,UCF winning it's first BCS bowl, Auburn winning the National Championship. Can't wait for August 2014.

Auburn winning the National Championship.

Little premature don't ya think. Florida St is gonna give Auburn everything they can handle and then some!

And the Big 10 bowl games definitely weren't blowouts like some on here predicted. OSU game was a nailbiter just as thought. Shame Miller had to get hurt in the 4th because it would have been even closer hadn't he gotten hurt. Iowa (19) nearly beat LSU (9) and I really thought Wisconsin was gonna knock off South Carolina. Were there any other teams in the country that could have played that well against the SEC teams. I don't think so. Congrats to SC and LSU but I really really hope FSU hammers Auburn. By the way Braxton is coming back for his senior year. Cya in '14.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom