2011-2012 Conditions at the Similans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We go the last half of april to the similans. I hope to see manta rays, sharks (leopard or better the whale shark), and a lot of fish. They told us that manta's are seen most dives in april in the similans. Whale sharks the chance is poor. Leopard sharks can be found. Sometimes seahorses.

Just saw that link earlier today, we are very lucky in the Gulf that the coral recovered really well here. Too bad about the Similans and Surin, I can only hope that it will recover quickly.

Any updates on current conditions in the Similans? Water temps? Visability? Cool creature sightings?

I'm headed out there for a 4 day/4 night trip in just over a week. Can't wait!

James

Thanks for the great link! Looks like the water is almost warm enough for me to abandon my wetsuit. But will probably bring it along anyway.

What boat are you on?

I did a four day trip on the White Manta beginning March 15th. Visibility was fair; lots of plankton in the water. I did not wear a wetsuit. I never wear a wetsuit in the tropics. We saw one Manta at Koh Bon Ridge. No sharks.

Some snapshots here: Similans March 2012

I know, the quality sucks, but I'm not much of a photographer.

you're welcome, i've been slightly worried for the weather since i'm going in april, which is usually when the weather turns. will be on nautica, 4 april. u?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom