2011-2012 Conditions at the Similans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Koh Bon and Koh Tachai have been incorporated into the Similan Islands National Park, so while they're not actually among the eponymous "nine" (plus some rocks) islands, you still need to pay Similans park fees to dive there. And yes, iamafish is correct that Richelieu Rock is not part of the Similans; it is contained within the Surin Islands National Park. Nevertheless, popular usage for dive travel discussions tends to lump the two together into one "Similans area" sort of category. As it happens, large shallow coral gardens of the Surin park were also affected by the coral bleaching episode, and therefore any discussion of conditions would logically include dive sites technically within and without the Similans park.

Fully agree with Quero regarding the inclusion of the site into the 'Similan discussion'.
Unfortunately the coral is in real bad shape and not because of bleaching, the state of the coral is from a different source. Koh Tachai reef is a prime sample.Over 90% of the coral is dead there and not since last years coral bleaching. Very sad to see.
The Surin islands also have plenty of dead coral, similar to Koh Tachai, not from coral bleaching.

The 'boulder' dives are still good, since there's hardly any coral there, it's the shallower dives that will show the dead coral.

On the other hand, Richelieu Rock seems to be as healthy as can be.

I went on similan liveaboard with Peterpan cruise during end of Oct. I was told that we are one of the very first liveaboard boat there for the season. Peterpan is a nice boat and the crew are great~ not luxurious by any means but it is above average~

The viz were generally good~ However, i was quite disappointed that we didn't see any mantas in koh bon and there's nothing much to see~ After koh bon, we went off to Richelieu rock... I was told it is the best dive site so i was really looking forward to it. After we jumped in, the viz was less than 10 meters and it remained like that for 2 dives... which pretty much ruined the trip~

Having dived in maldives a few times, I feel that there are alot more corals and fishes in maldives compared to similan.

I am going to similan again this April and hope the condition will be better than last time~

airbug, just a thought but October is the very beginning of the season in the Similans and April is the very end. The conditions at those times have a greater chance of being poor. I've been there for 10 trips in the past two Februarys and saw mantas on nine of them at Koh Bon and had great visibilty at all sites. Timing your trip (or destination) is important.

Been to Koh Bon twice in December and never saw a Manta Ray. Actually never spotted a Manta Ray in the Similan area combined over 3 trips.

Now Hin Muang and Hin Daeng is a very different story.

In both areas people have seen them and/or missed them. In my opinion it's just a matter of luck.

I can say I've seen mantas during about 50% of my dives at Koh Bon. Didn't see any last trip, but it's the wrong time of year now. Late winter/early spring is when they're around more reliably. You're doing an IDC up at Khao Lak this spring, right, Limbo? I'm guessing you'll spot mantas if you get a trip out there this time.

Dive the Similans in January of 2012

The area has huge schools of fish. We even saw 3 manta rays.

However, there are huge areas of dead hard corals. One are was close to 100% dead. Very little signs of recovery. Any recovery in these areas is going to take 10 to 20 years. There are things to see. However, if you are looking for beautiful reef scenes, there are some, but not many.

I personally was somewhat disappointed over the amount of destruction on the reef.

Here are 2 pictures of the area that was hard hit (ignore the turtle who got in the way) This area was about 300-400 meters long and at least 100 meters wide. I don't see much recovery here.

DSC_6339.jpgDSC_6347.jpg

There are areas with very colorful soft corals (which don't bleach).
DSC_6542.jpg

It's true that there are vast staghorn forests in the Similans that have been decimated by the coral bleaching event that took place less than two years ago. But other types of hard corals were less affected. Unfortunately, staghorns are the mainstay of the ecosystem in many of our shallow reef systems. When a similar spike in sea surface temperatures took place in the Maldives in 1998 wiping out nearly all of their hard corals, it took six years before reef monitors saw significant regeneration, but it did happen, and now 13 years on, the country again has healthy reefs. While the damage in Thailand was severe in some places, it wasn't as extensive as the devastation in the Maldives, so I'm optimistic that in a few more years, our staghorns will be noticeably recovered. I can hardly wait.

Back
Top Bottom