2008 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Spurrier a Possibilty for Auburn? | Bleacher Report

Steve Spurrier a Possibilty for Auburn?
by Deric Winslett
December 10, 2008

Auburn, AL—Sources I have spoken to within the last few hours have confided that current South Carolina head football coach Steve Spurrier has been contacted by Auburn officials.

A source close to the situation stated that Spurrier’s name was on Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs’s short list, but would not give further information. Another source stated that Spurrier had interviewed with Jacobs late last week, and details of an offer have not been finalized.

“Auburn is being very careful not to upset the bowl preparations that are going on with Steve and South Carolina,” the source said.

Does this mean the interviews of, shall we say, "less statured" candidates may be for backup purposes should a deal not be reached? Would Auburn take a chance on an aging Spurrier who is 64 and seems content at USC, where there’s less pressure to win?

Auburn can certainly outspend South Carolina, head-to-head. Spurrier’s reported annual salary totals nearly $1.8 million and his buyout is $2 million.

The biggest question is would Spurrier be assured enough control over the program? Many believe Colonial Bank president and university trustee Bobby Lowder pulls the strings that move the athletic department.

Call me naive, but I doubt that sort of meddling continues today. SACS could do more to finish off Auburn football than the NCAA if Auburn University were to lose its accreditation. That’s too big of a risk even for Lowder. He is a money man who loves to feed his ego with power. However, I don’t believe he would risk devaluing previous and future Auburn University degrees for the sake of administering control over Auburn athletics.

My opinion of Lowder compares to three-hundred-year-old goat poop, under a muddy rock. None the less obviously, he loves and supports Auburn. He’ll be off the board in 2012, but who’s counting, anyway?

Under Spurrier, USC finished the regular season 7-5, 4-4 in the SEC. The Gamecocks will meet the Iowa Hawkeyes (8-4, 5-3) in the Outback Bowl in Tampa, Fla., on Jan. 1. It marks the third time they will go bowling under Spurrier in four seasons.

The Gamecocks were bowl-eligible at 6-6 in 2007 but did not receive an invitation. Spurrier has directed his teams to a 7-7 bowl record overall. The best record gained while at Florida. He was 0-1 in bowl games while coaching at Duke. He was 6-5 in bowl games as the head coach for the Gators, including a 52-20 win over Florida State in the 1997 Sugar Bowl to capture the national championship, and is 1-1 in two bowl games while guiding the Gamecocks.

It is unclear whether there is a leading candidate at this point for Auburn’s vacant head coaching position. However, with limited time between bowl games and signing day around the corner in February, naming a head ball coach must not be delayed too long.

Rushing to secure a hire is not the way to go, either. With Nick Saban at Alabama and clearly with the momentum over their archrival, Jay Jacob’s must hire a "wow factor" coach. The problem is there are simply not enough available coaches with Nick Saban’s star quality.

If Jacobs is telling the truth when he said money will not be a limitation, prove it! The last thing Auburn should do is hire an unproven coach. But, hey, legendary and former Auburn coach Pat Dye came from East Carolina by way on one year at Wyoming.

Consider this: Would Auburn have even entertained offering an opportunity to current Florida head coach Urban Meyer while at Utah? Many people are upset with Jay Jacobs; some are not. It’s a matter of opinion, and what you believe are the reasons why Tommy Tuberville resigned from Auburn.

As an Auburn fan, I want to believe it happened just the way Jacobs said in the media. Until Tuberville say’s differently, I’ll take him at his word. With that being said, I would not want to be in the shoes of Jay Jacobs. Or maybe I would—if I could hire Steve Spurrier.

Stay tuned; the saga continues...

Pete... this is supposed to be the cover of Next weeks Sports Illustrated

SI_Tebow.jpg

Poor Tebow - the dreaded "cover curse". All they need to do is pick the Gators to win and then he is really screwed...

I suspect he is pulling for Bradford in New York though - Heisman trophy winning QBs have a pretty poor record when it comes to NC games (think Gino Toretta, Eric Crouch, Jason White, Troy Smith, Chris Weinke, Vinny Testaverde) although Florida QBs seem to do better than average (Charlie Ward (although, damn, that was close) and Danny Wuerffel). Matt Leinart was 1-1, so you can go either way on that one.

Steve Spurrier a Possibilty for Auburn? | Bleacher Report

Steve Spurrier a Possibilty for Auburn?
by Deric Winslett
December 10, 2008

Auburn, ALÍ´ources I have spoken to within the last few hours have confided that current South Carolina head football coach Steve Spurrier has been contacted by Auburn officials.

A source close to the situation stated that SpurrierÃÔ name was on Auburn athletic director Jay JacobsÃÔ short list, but would not give further information. Another source stated that Spurrier had interviewed with Jacobs late last week, and details of an offer have not been finalized.

Å¢uburn is being very careful not to upset the bowl preparations that are going on with Steve and South Carolina, the source said.

Does this mean the interviews of, shall we say, "less statured" candidates may be for backup purposes should a deal not be reached? Would Auburn take a chance on an aging Spurrier who is 64 and seems content at USC, where thereÃÔ less pressure to win?

Auburn can certainly outspend South Carolina, head-to-head. SpurrierÃÔ reported annual salary totals nearly $1.8 million and his buyout is $2 million.

The biggest question is would Spurrier be assured enough control over the program? Many believe Colonial Bank president and university trustee Bobby Lowder pulls the strings that move the athletic department.

Call me naive, but I doubt that sort of meddling continues today. SACS could do more to finish off Auburn football than the NCAA if Auburn University were to lose its accreditation. ThatÃÔ too big of a risk even for Lowder. He is a money man who loves to feed his ego with power. However, I donÃÕ believe he would risk devaluing previous and future Auburn University degrees for the sake of administering control over Auburn athletics.

My opinion of Lowder compares to three-hundred-year-old goat poop, under a muddy rock. None the less obviously, he loves and supports Auburn. HeÃÍl be off the board in 2012, but whoÃÔ counting, anyway?

Under Spurrier, USC finished the regular season 7-5, 4-4 in the SEC. The Gamecocks will meet the Iowa Hawkeyes (8-4, 5-3) in the Outback Bowl in Tampa, Fla., on Jan. 1. It marks the third time they will go bowling under Spurrier in four seasons.

The Gamecocks were bowl-eligible at 6-6 in 2007 but did not receive an invitation. Spurrier has directed his teams to a 7-7 bowl record overall. The best record gained while at Florida. He was 0-1 in bowl games while coaching at Duke. He was 6-5 in bowl games as the head coach for the Gators, including a 52-20 win over Florida State in the 1997 Sugar Bowl to capture the national championship, and is 1-1 in two bowl games while guiding the Gamecocks.

It is unclear whether there is a leading candidate at this point for AuburnÃÔ vacant head coaching position. However, with limited time between bowl games and signing day around the corner in February, naming a head ball coach must not be delayed too long.

Rushing to secure a hire is not the way to go, either. With Nick Saban at Alabama and clearly with the momentum over their archrival, Jay JacobÃÔ must hire a "wow factor" coach. The problem is there are simply not enough available coaches with Nick SabanÃÔ star quality.

If Jacobs is telling the truth when he said money will not be a limitation, prove it! The last thing Auburn should do is hire an unproven coach. But, hey, legendary and former Auburn coach Pat Dye came from East Carolina by way on one year at Wyoming.

Consider this: Would Auburn have even entertained offering an opportunity to current Florida head coach Urban Meyer while at Utah? Many people are upset with Jay Jacobs; some are not. ItÃÔ a matter of opinion, and what you believe are the reasons why Tommy Tuberville resigned from Auburn.

As an Auburn fan, I want to believe it happened just the way Jacobs said in the media. Until Tuberville sayÃÔ differently, IÃÍl take him at his word. With that being said, I would not want to be in the shoes of Jay Jacobs. Or maybe I wouldÍÊf I could hire Steve Spurrier.

Stay tuned; the saga continues...

Not going to happen.

oh jeez...

Auburn hired Chizik!

I don't get it. He may be a great D coordinator but his head coaching record is terrible.

Auburns offense is in the toliet.... and their solution is to hire a Defensive coordinator as head coach?

This guy has only won 5 games in the last 2 years.....

If Auburn wants a coach that can beat Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and maybe Florida, do you really hire a coach that has only won 5 games in the last two years? They need to hire a coach that can get the job done... not someone that they will just have to replace AGAIN within the next two seasons...

he only won 2 games last year....

I think the last time he had a decent winning season as head coach was as a little-league-Pop-Warner coach!

They need to fire Jay Jacobs for stupid stuff like this....

Auburn fans weren't exactly happy with Jacobs on his return to Auburn after the trip to hire him.... Here they are heckling him at the airport.

Auburns offense is in the toliet.... and their solution is to hire a Defensive coordinator as head coach?

This guy has only won 5 games in the last 2 years.....

If Auburn wants a coach that can beat Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and maybe Florida, do you really hire a coach that has only won 5 games in the last two years? They need to hire a coach that can get the job done... not someone that they will just have to replace AGAIN within the next two seasons...

he only won 2 games last year....

I think the last time he had a decent winning season as head coach was as a little-league-Pop-Warner coach!

They need to fire Jay Jacobs for stupid stuff like this....

Auburn fans weren't exactly happy with Jacobs on his return to Auburn after the trip to hire him.... Here they are heckling him at the airport.

Ouch... that's definitely not the hire I expected when they let Tuberville go.

Thoughts, Mike?

Ouch... that's definitely not the hire I expected when they let Tuberville go.

Thoughts, Mike?

I haven't talked to a single Auburn fan who supports this...

I expect you'll see news stories about recruits who have committed to Auburn withdrawing their commmittment.

More news.... Chizik fires all of the Auburn coaching staff...

Gene Chizik fires up Tigers, fires assistant coaches - Breaking News from The Birmingham News - al.com

Gene Chizik fires up Tigers, fires assistant coaches
Posted by Charles Goldberg -- Birmingham News December 15, 2008 6:31 AM

Gene Chizik gave the impression that he'd be an inspirational, fiery head coach when he met with his Auburn players for the first time Sunday night, but the news was not as rosy for Tommy Tuberville's old coaching staff.

Chizik told Tuberville's remaining assistant coaches in a Sunday night meeting they should look for employment, indicating a big change in the coaching staff.

Chizik wasted no time setting the tone for his regime, according to someone familiar with the coaches' meeting. Some of Auburn's support staff will likely remain, said the person familiar with the meeting.

After a meeting with players, Auburn tight end Tommy Trott said he found Chizik's first team meeting inspiring.

``He's going to be a good motivator, just coming out of that speech he just gave,'' Trott said. ``It was very motivating. He's a little bit different style. I'm looking forward to it.''

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom