2006 "Crab Grab"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Catchy title, isn't it???

Anyway, as discussed in the 2006 resolutions thread, I'd like to organize a "Crab Grab" jetty dive in the spring 2006.

Dates: Undecided weekend in the Spring
Participants: Open to all SB'ers
Purpose: Grab up to 1 dozen crabs per person using scuba gear (snorkelling permitted, but not on this forum). You can grab more, but not more than you can eat (Them's the rules). Must be taken by hand or catch net - no gigging, spearing, cracking or tossing. No deliberately removing claws - let them fight back if they want. Local fishing regulations must be observed, common sense and peer pressure will prevail about undersized crabs. Crabs must be alive when tossed into the boiling pot.

Crabs will then be boiled at a local campsite/hotel room/back yard using only Zatairan's crab boil (the bags, not the liquid or powder). Served with the obligatory beer, sausage, mushrooms, potatoes, corn, garlic, etc.

"I got crabs in Gulf Shores!"

This should be fun...?

suggested Saturdays that "high tide" is at a reasonable dive hour at east pass (destin).

Sa Apr 01 High 11:13 AM
Sa Apr 15 High 11:15 AM
Sa Apr 29 High 11:03 AM
Sa May 06 High 4:18 PM (kinda too late this day)

How soon does the water down there warm up? I know it's still
chilly in april and early may. Assume it's down-right-cold in march.

mike_s:
suggested Saturdays that "high tide" is at a reasonable dive hour at east pass (destin).

Sa Apr 01 High 11:13 AM
Sa Apr 15 High 11:15 AM
Sa Apr 29 High 11:03 AM
Sa May 06 High 4:18 PM (kinda too late this day)

How soon does the water down there warm up? I know it's still
chilly in april and early may. Assume it's down-right-cold in march.

Excellent info. The water wasn't that bad offshore over the weekend. Apr 15 is tax weekend, not that it affects me at all, but others might have some problem.

Let's put out April 29 as the official target date. I'm assuming the other jetties have similar tidal times. Do I hear a Second from the committee?

SuPrBuGmAn:
"I got crabs in Gulf Shores!"

This should be fun...?

ta - da !!!

summit_crab.jpg

GotCrabs.jpg

med_gotcrabs.jpg

gotcrabs_samp.jpg

gotcrabs.gif

this one is for Paul

crabsbig2.jpg

Crab grab, sounds like fun. I will definitely try to make that one. Is there going to be a cookout emmediately after the dive?

Hiya Jurgen, haven't seen you around in awhile.

I believe the plan is to cook the crabs afterwards :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom