200 Bar or 300Bar Din??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghrousseau

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to be setting up some double AL80's for Diving wet. I have one din reg and 2 yoke regs. I was thinking about getting a 200 Bar Sea Elite or a Thermo 200 Bar.

Also............has anyone bought the Halcyon "Blem" manifolds?? I have seen some on ebay for a bit less than a new Thermo??

Thank you.

be careful with choosing the right manifold. do not make the mistake of putting 300 bar on 200 bar tanks. I have seen people make that mistake and have trouble filling them at stations that dont have 300 bar capacity. A 200 bar Yoke reg wont fit over a 300 bar valve even with the donut in, nor will a 200 bar filling head.

If you ahve 300 bar tanks then go for it, otherwise there is no advantage and many disadvantages of 300 bar manifolds. JFTI

Sea Elite off ebay for $130 is about as cheap as you can regularily get. Same price for 200 and 300 bar. With 80's you can easily do 200 BAR, then you'll be tempted to use a yoke 1st.

300 bar manifolds on tanks of lesser pressure are pretty common - if you're worried about not being able to get a fill, simply get a yoke to din fill adapter and throw it in the scuba toolbox.

A 300 bar fill adapter is relativley cheap and can be obtained through any Trident dealer.

But it is in my opinion still more convenient to be able to just screw the donut into a 200 bar valve and just fill it like a regular yoke valve. So if you don't need a 300 bar manifold and are not getting a super deal on a 300 bar manifold, there is really no reason to go with one.

ghrousseau:
I am going to be setting up some double AL80's for Diving wet. I have one din reg and 2 yoke regs. I was thinking about getting a 200 Bar Sea Elite or a Thermo 200 Bar.

Also............has anyone bought the Halcyon "Blem" manifolds?? I have seen some on ebay for a bit less than a new Thermo??

Thank you.

I doubled up alum 80's and went with the 300 bar. I have never had any fill problems. If at some point I move up to HP steel tanks I will be able to use the same manifold and bands (with most tanks).

--Matt

DA Aquamaster:
A 300 bar fill adapter is relativley cheap and can be obtained through any Trident dealer.

But it is in my opinion still more convenient to be able to just screw the donut into a 200 bar valve and just fill it like a regular yoke valve. So if you don't need a 300 bar manifold and are not getting a super deal on a 300 bar manifold, there is really no reason to go with one.

So you have to carry either a donut or fill adapter, anyway. With the donut, you also have to carry the correct size allen wrench. So I prefer to carry the fill adapter.

I have both 200-bar and 300-bar valves. I've never had aproblem getting a fill with either one. All my future valves will be 300-bar.

I've had a Sea Elite 300 bar manifold on my AL 90's for years and have never had trouble filling them, in fact I've never seen a shop without a 300 bar adapter around here. Check with your LDS and see if they can fill tanks equipped with 300 bar DIN valves and if so I'd go with the 300 over the 200.

matt_unique:
I doubled up alum 80's and went with the 300 bar. I have never had any fill problems. If at some point I move up to HP steel tanks I will be able to use the same manifold and bands (with most tanks).

--Matt
If i am not mistaking HP tanks use a 7/8" thread unless you are talking about the PST E7 and E8 series tanks which use the 3/4" thread.

Like Ben and others said, the adaptor is cheap. As far as needing the "right allen key" for the donut on a 200, you ought to be carrying "all the right" allen keys anyway IMO.

Let's look at something else. Have you looked at how many turns from open to shut down?? You are diving manifolded doubles so you can isolate. And when you need to isolate, you need to shut down NOW. The Sea Elite valves and manifold are faster than anything else on the market. And the best priced.

Back
Top Bottom