2 weeks vacation in Cozumel after 35 years away...this June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone knows anything about cooking or cheese, I'd love some thoughts about what cheeses are in it.

I haven't had the Queso Fundido at Kinta (I usually skip the appetizer and have a salad, entree and ALWAYS one if the amazing desserts), but I'd give good odds that it's made with Queso Oaxaca. Oaxacan (Pronounced "wa HAH can") cheese is a cows milk cheese where the curd is pulled, just like Mozerella, so it melts well and has a stringy texture. You can also make it with Chihuahuan Cheese, which has similar melting characteristics, but that is made in the northern state of Chihuahua, so probably not found as easily in Cozumel. I make my own with Oaxaca Cheese, fresh Chorizo, sauteed til done and most, but not all, of the fat frained off, diced red onions and jalapenos. mix the onions and peppers into the cheese, add the chorizo on top (if you mix it in, the red spices in the Chorizo will dye the cheese and make the whole thing pink). You can add (or substitute) seranos or even habaneros if you like it hotter. Play with the recipe until you get it exactly like you want it.

I haven't had the Queso Fundido at Kinta (I usually skip the appetizer and have a salad, entree and ALWAYS one if the amazing desserts), but I'd give good odds that it's made with Queso Oaxaca. Oaxacan (Pronounced "wa HAH can") cheese is a cows milk cheese where the curd is pulled, just like Mozerella, so it melts well and has a stringy texture. You can also make it with Chihuahuan Cheese, which has similar melting characteristics, but that is made in the northern state of Chihuahua, so probably not found as easily in Cozumel. I make my own with Oaxaca Cheese, fresh Chorizo, sauteed til done and most, but not all, of the fat frained off, diced red onions and jalapenos. mix the onions and peppers into the cheese, add the chorizo on top (if you mix it in, the red spices in the Chorizo will dye the cheese and make the whole thing pink). You can add (or substitute) seranos or even habaneros if you like it hotter. Play with the recipe until you get it exactly like you want it.

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to try it.

And just so that this isn't an official hijack, to the OP - I still recommend Kondesa or Kinta!
:)

Going along with Jayfarmlaw's theme of favorites, mine absolute favorite food item is the queso fundido with warm tortillas from Kondesa. Asking for a Habanero margarita with it (not on the menu) adds a nice touch too.

If anyone knows anything about cooking or cheese, I'd love some thoughts about what cheeses are in it.

Oaxaca cheese. That is the cheese to use and less oily chorizo. One of my favorites but not now as I'm tying to get under 200 for the first time since college.

It's nice to see another Katy diver on the site. I live just off Westpark Tollway.

I'm a lot like you. I originally went to Cozumel 25 years ago and didn't return until about 5 years ago. Now my family is hooked on diving and everyone is certified (wife, son and myself). We go at least 2 times a year now. I'm sure you will love it.

I always stop at a place called Wet Wendy's for their margaritas when I'm in town. I also like to stop by the Rasta Bar at the start of the windward side of the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom