2 weeks in March or April, where should I go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be in Thailand/Nepal for 12 weeks starting Feb 15. I have no firm plans other than a month trekking in Nepal and I want to get two week diving in. I will be using Bangkok as my base and don't mind travel. I don't want to "break the bank and don't mind jumping on a plane.

I have between 15-20 dives, all from 1997-99 when I got my basic padi cert. in Austrailia. I don't care about the party scene or any of that. I don't even drink anymore. I just want to make the most of my time/dives and get a nice variety. I am aware that I will have to and should take a refresher course. I then want to do as many dives as I can in 2 weeks or until my $$$ runs out for that part of the trip..

here is what I am considering:

Bali
Malaysia/Peruenthian(sp) islands
Gulf of Thailand islands

any other ideas you anybody may have? I would prefer not to have to travel too much while I am there and the more moderate priced the better. No Four Seasons for this guy!

thanks!

Hi Jonny,

If you are open to picking places in the South East Asian region as you seem to be with your Bali/Perhentian/Gulf of Thailand mention then you have an enormous choice.

Firstly the Gulf of Thailand is not remotely as interesting to dive in as the Andaman Sea coast Phuket => Similan islands. The Gulf is not in season and is a bit better known for the party scene than the west coast. I recommend you do a daytrip or two from Phuket (just to get your bearings and remember what you already know) and then do a Similans liveaboard.

Perhentians are OK. Backpackery and alright diving, but nothing on the world-class palces in Sabah, Malaysian Borneo like Sipadan.

Bali is good, Especially Lembongan and Tulamben. You dive from resorts here. Of course a Komodo liveaboard would be great but maybe a bit too much current if you havent dived for years.

If you want to stay in Thailand then the first recommendation is the best. here are some links for those: Phuket daytrips and Similans liveaboards.

Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom