2 weeks in GC- use one dive op or multi ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For sure you should shore dive at Lighthouse or Turtle Reef if you get the chance. If you make friends on the dive boat, go afternoon or night shore diving with them.

If cost is an issue, most dive ops will give you a discount for multiple days of diving. So consider consolidating your dives with one dive op. I now do most of my diving on GC, so checked out most of the shops to see what they offered. Their multi-dive packages differ quite a bit among shops. And if they don't say on their web site, ask about it.

I just got back August 12th from a 10 day trip with 7 days of diving. I dove Don Fosters 3 days, Eden Rock 2 days, and Sunset Divers 2 days. There were just different things to see and people to be with. Last year, I bumped into 4 or 5 people at Eden Rock who were doing multiple shore dives a day and were moving from location to location after each dive to experience as many dive sites as they could. Wow, I wanted to go with them as that sounded like a great idea.

I'm going to preface my recommendation with this comment, which some may find objectionable... I have been diving GC 1977. All of which was centered on the West end. In the 80's I discovered the East end, Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. Over the years of comparing the quality of the water, dives and structure, the GC West end has suffered some depredation and became over-run with boats, ships and people. That said, It is the least expensive of the 3. So if you can't dive the cays on your dollar, your best bet to dive the quality of the cays rests with the East End. The prevailing currents keep the water crystal clear and bring bigger critters. Anything that goes into the water on the West End, stays in the water. It is best to stay East, which requires a rental car, you will be driving on the "wrong" side of the road and there are excellent dive ops there. The wall is close to the shore starting at the lighthouse where Ocean and Divetech operate and runs that way pretty much all around the East end. Shore diving is doable. Wind will shut you down though, so weather becomes a constraint and can chase you around the island. Having a car makes you mobile and you can always find a place to dive. The caymans are probably the most expensive place in the Caribbean to buy a sammich, so it would behoove you to stock up at the the market before leaving the West end.

I agree with you, OkByMe, I dive east when I can but still enjoy north and west in that order. Given that the OP is staying on 7 MB, it would be a long drive to East End daily.
The OPs original question was one or multiple operators. I would stay with one unless there are problems. No point in jumping around once you know the DMs and the operation. Also cheaper for multiday. There are many great operators on the 7MB side and everyone seems to have their own personal bias.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom