2 week trip advice--Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Each of the three times we've been to PR, we've flown into San Juan.

First time, we stayed three days in Old San Juan, and then drove to Rincon to dive with Taino at Desecheo; and then drove down to La Parguera for one day to dive with West Divers on the wall.

Second time we stayed four days in OSJ, then drove to Playa Santa and dove with Island Divers on the wall off Guanica.

Third trip, we stayed one night at the San Juan airport hotel, and then flew to Culebra for three days to dive with Culebra Divers, and then back to stay in OSJ for three days.

While each trip was intended to be a dive trip, what we found after our first one, was that a trip to Puerto Rico without a couple of days in Old San Juan is a wasted trip. There is so much history and depth of attraction in OSJ that is should not be ignored.
Thanks so much for the input, I made a change to the itinerary to stay the first and last nights in OSJ - I definitely consider these dive trips and want to get in as much as I can in as diverse a spots as are available. But I do love travel, local food, culture and architecture.

The you are coming to the right place! Food culture and architecture in Puerto Rico are fantastic. Be sure to try the "mofongo" . I will suggest looking at this website: Puerto Rico Day Trips | The Best Puerto Rico Travel Guide Featuring Reviews, Tips and Inside Information

Absolutely agree, and would add that only one or two days in OSJ are not enough. We have always stayed at the Hotel El Convento, which is the perfect place to begin becoming acclimated to the culture and architecture.

We haven't been back since the hurricane, but hope that the entire island continues to heal.

We haven't been back since the hurricane, but hope that the entire island continues to heal.

We are getting slowly back to "normal". Even though most of the coastal areas are getting back to what they were before Irma & María you will find less dive operations around. Some lost their boats and piers. Hard to recover from a hit like that when you were not able to make any profit for 2-3 months after the hurricanes. But the diving community is strong and those who still are up and running are helping each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom