2 week trip advice--Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Appreciate in advance any advice on the following, as we may plan a 2 week early May trip to P.R.
--inexpensive, clean motels walking distance to beach?
--shore diving spots.
--car rentals.
--We're probably thinking fairly close to San Juan--how does it look for the above questions since the hurricane?

Appreciate any info. from those with personal experience.
We also consider S. Florida and The Bahamas. Same questions.

Thanks.

The island is not expected to have all electric power restored until late Spring/early Summer.

We love PR (been there three times in the past ten years), but won't go back until the island has had a chance to catch it's breath.

Please consider the local circumstances and inquire before you plan too heavily.

Hey Tom! I actually am an eco-swimwear designer located on the west side of puerto rico and saw your post so i thought i'd chime in...

So yes, there is still a lot of places that don't have power restored, however, this should not deter you from making the trip! The hotels and businesses in PR rely heavily on tourism and are welcoming tourists/surfers/divers/etc! When you book a reservation just check that the hotel has power (most of them do) and you will be ok!

As far as dive spots, like i said, I live on the west side of the island (Isabela area) and one of the THE BEST spots is going to be Blue Hole. It's a shore dive full of marine life. There are a few hotels in the area near by, check Villa Montana, Montones/Villa Del Mar, Hotel Boriquen, Air b n b! There's also a full dive shop here called Dive Aquatica on the 110 where we get our tanks filled.

Another good shore dive in this area is Playa Crashboat. And in Rincon - "steps beach." La Paguara is also a beautiful area with a bio-luminescent bay that will blow your mind on a new moon night. I've never dove there, but we did snorkel and it is one of my favorite spots on the island.

I would recommend coming to the west side for the best diving and a better experience of the island. There is an airport here (aguadilla) as well as a few car rental companies at the airport. We also have the best surfing waves over here if you're into that! please feel free to message me or email me at swim@magdakinedesigns.com if you have any questions. I'm more than happy to help!

Thanks a lot--great info.! We are still not sure if we'll go and consider other areas, particularly Lauderdale in S. Fla. I may PM you in April or so.

Hey Tom! I actually am an eco-swimwear designer located on the west side of puerto rico and saw your post so i thought i'd chime in...

So yes, there is still a lot of places that don't have power restored, however, this should not deter you from making the trip! The hotels and businesses in PR rely heavily on tourism and are welcoming tourists/surfers/divers/etc! When you book a reservation just check that the hotel has power (most of them do) and you will be ok!

As far as dive spots, like i said, I live on the west side of the island (Isabela area) and one of the THE BEST spots is going to be Blue Hole. It's a shore dive full of marine life. There are a few hotels in the area near by, check Villa Montana, Montones/Villa Del Mar, Hotel Boriquen, Air b n b! There's also a full dive shop here called Dive Aquatica on the 110 where we get our tanks filled.

Another good shore dive in this area is Playa Crashboat. And in Rincon - "steps beach." La Paguara is also a beautiful area with a bio-luminescent bay that will blow your mind on a new moon night. I've never dove there, but we did snorkel and it is one of my favorite spots on the island.

I would recommend coming to the west side for the best diving and a better experience of the island. There is an airport here (aguadilla) as well as a few car rental companies at the airport. We also have the best surfing waves over here if you're into that! please feel free to message me or email me at swim@magdakinedesigns.com if you have any questions. I'm more than happy to help!

I'm actually looking at a trip to PR in April love the idea of several shore dives and have wanted o check out the bioluminescence - appreciate the info.

If you come to the west side of the island (Aguadilla) check out Aquatica Dive Shop. The owner, José, has been diving these waters for over 30 years and can point you to the best dive sites aroud.

If you come to the west side of the island (Aguadilla) check out Aquatica Dive Shop. The owner, José, has been diving these waters for over 30 years and can point you to the best dive sites aroud.
Will do - booked PR for May, staying in Rincon, think I messed up booked to fly into San Juan, I guess that
s what car rentals are for.
Looks like there's shore diving in Rincon, definitely want to do the bioluminescence.

You didn't mess up by flying into San Juan. That's where most of the flights go. Aguadilla is closer to Rincon but doesn't have as many flights. If you're staying in Rincon, Taino Divers is the most well known. I haven't dove with them yet but am thinking of it. If you can make it to the southwest part of the island, I suggest La Parguera. Either West DIvers or Paradise Scuba & Snorkeling are good. Or, go a little further to Guanica and use San Juan Divers (that's the name but they are in Guanica). There's a beautiful wall a couple miles off the shore. If you are in the San juan area, the closest options are Fajardo with Seaventures. Fajardo can be hit or miss with visibility but Seaventuers is a fantastic shop. SeaVentures also dives out of Humacao. In San Juan itself there isn't much diving. You can dive the marine park in Escambron but the visibility is just really iffy. Let us know how it goes!

Each of the three times we've been to PR, we've flown into San Juan.

First time, we stayed three days in Old San Juan, and then drove to Rincon to dive with Taino at Desecheo; and then drove down to La Parguera for one day to dive with West Divers on the wall.

Second time we stayed four days in OSJ, then drove to Playa Santa and dove with Island Divers on the wall off Guanica.

Third trip, we stayed one night at the San Juan airport hotel, and then flew to Culebra for three days to dive with Culebra Divers, and then back to stay in OSJ for three days.

While each trip was intended to be a dive trip, what we found after our first one, was that a trip to Puerto Rico without a couple of days in Old San Juan is a wasted trip. There is so much history and depth of attraction in OSJ that is should not be ignored.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom