2 week Philippines dive trip in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Commute from Cebu City to Mactan Island for diving everyday is tedious and time consuming. Stay on the island.

Dive Spots & Dive Sites of Mactan Cebu Philippines
Both Marine Sanctuary at Hilutungan Island and Nalusuan Island are very good but they are NOT suitable for beginner divers. Unfortunately, there are plenty of them visiting Mactan. Supply and demand.

So this is what we're doing with 14 days in February 2019. Looks like we're going to overlap by quite a bit:

February 16 Arrival Cebu, transfer to Moalboal
February 17-18 Dive Moalboal
February 19-24 Dive Safari Moalboal to Sipalay, transfer to Bacolod.
February 25 Flight Bacolod-Cebu with Cebu Pacific, transfer to Malapascua
February 26-March 1 Dive Malapascua
March 2 Transfer to Cebu and flights home.

We were able to keep our travel days to a minimum by arranging private transfers through the dive shops we are using and having either early flights, or late afternoon flights. We have no overnights in the Cebu-Mactan area in our itinerary either.
Let me know if you need any information on the particulars of our trip. we haven't done it, so I can't tell you how it worked out yet, but it looks pretty good on paper, if I do say so myself.
Cheers

If you like Pelagics and Coral Reefs then Alona Beach / Balicasag would be a good place to start your trip. Definitely take the AOW before heading to Malapascua then your buddy will be able to dive with the Threshers at Monad Shoal.

Take a look at Sierra Madre Divers they have a good reputation for teaching and guiding
For Malapascua I recommend Thresher Shark Divers quality operation with excellent boats and very experienced dive guides. pm me if you like to take advantage of their uk dive show deal :yeahbaby:

Sadly, the threshers were a no-show when I was at Malapascua. Just don't bank completely on their being there. Too bad you don't like the little critters. The Philippines has some of the best!

So finalizing the trip...right now planning to do:
2 days of diving in Panglao/Balicasag
1 day trip diving off Cabilao
4 days of diving in Malapascua
2 days of diving Moalboal area

Transit will be private taxi from Panglao to Malapascua to Moalboal to Cebu. Just 2 quick questions at this point:

1. Should I cut Malapascua to 3 diving days and add a day to Moalboal so it's 3 and 3? I've read conflicting reports about which area has better diving, but if you have an extra day in each spot and you skip over threshers/sardines, which would you recommend?

2. Are any of the locations listed above good spots to snorkel offshore? I love snorkeling out right from shore or taking a kayak to a nearby island. I took a kayak out to a nearby island in El Nido a few years ago and spent a whole afternoon just snorkeling in one area and absolutely loved it.

1. Malapascua has more varieties.
2. I never snorkel so my info on the topic could be WRONG.
Have NOT been to Panglao for a long time. But I do remember the sea grasses were long with plenty of sea urchins. However, the influx of commie chinese over last few yrs might have eaten them(sea urchins) all!!!!!
More or less all wall dives in Moalboal so snorkelling opportunity might be limited.

Snorkeling off Cabilao can be quite good, but it will take you some swim or walk to get to the drop off/wall, even more at low tide, hence kayaking to the spots should be a good idea, especially if you want to snorkel on lighthouse reef.

So many wonderful places to go in the Philippines! Does anyone have experience on the east coast of Panay north of Iloilo? Will be there with family and looking to dive possibly Near Gigantes Islands..... Have fun in Cebu

Back
Top Bottom