2 Feb - reef dives for all of you in the cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I offer some ideas?

In the first one, you've got some blow out on the left in the 'coral' and on the fishes face. 'Course they are recessed pretty far so maybe there was no other way to get them. I'd try a slower shutter and lower the strength on the strobe.

The puffer is cool but he would have stood out a bit more if the water behind him was darker. To control your background, use a faster shutter speed (exposure time).

I almost didn't see the scorpion! Partly because of his camoflage but also that whole half of the pic is darker. Maybe check where your strobe is pointed.

On the other hand, zipping along with a current doesn't always allow such fine tuning. And who am I to criticise? I haven't tasted salt water in almost a year! :wink:

Aardal - fish is a stars & stripes puffer

Dee - thanks for the advice! I am still playing with exposures (as you can tell!) and any tips are helpful. On the same dive I have some other shots that are similar (different critters) and did use a faster shutter speed - the water is darker, but it goes a bit greyish...is that normal? Or was it just the water yesterday? It kind of put me off using a faster speed, but maybe I can tweak it - no time yet.

That blowout...I am not sure how to get rid of it...the pictures I have with the strobe in a different position have a terrible shadow in them as there is a jutting piece of coral there. But the ones I have of these guys at a different location also have blow out...the one that doesn't, I can't really see the details in their eyes. <sigh> I'll keep trying as these and similar coloured guys are pretty common!

OK, so you all didn't think the scorpion worked! I can deal with that...I posted this one because it is a bit different than I normally take (or than I have seen even). I wanted to have an in situ shot as it were...so I tried to have the strobe as the sun and have the scorpion blend (which he does!) I liked the shot, but it's nice to get feedback that others don't get what I was trying to achieve...have to try something else next time. I tried some verticals of this but his eye wasn't as sharp as I would have liked - I will keep searching for more posers and try again!

Thanks so much for the feedback - it really is invaluable :)

Maybe your strobe setting is just too high. I can understand the blowout in that first shot, the coral is much closer trying to shoot into a recessed area. In the other one, can you not see the eyes because of overexposure? Try dialing the strobe down a bit....can't hurt! Especially when you can try somethin else tomorrow. Have I mentioned I hate you for that?!? :e18: :colgate:

LOL - sorry...just getting ready to go for a couple more dives...not to rub it in...but you'll be pleased to know that I will not be diving on Wed or Thurs!

My strobe has no settings so I have to move it or use the camera to control the light. A new strobe is on my wish list, but not going to happen before Xmas - very sad.

I can't see the eyes because they come out too dark - you can't see the detail (the pupils etc). I think it is probably an angle problem in addition to amount of light...

This photography thing is so frustrating sometimes!! Some days I think I should just go back to point and shoot and resign myself to so-so ID shots...

but now I am hooked...

durn you all - it's all your fault, you know :wink: (and now to think I am looking at purchasing the Oly 5050 & WAL...)

Ok....if you can't change the settings on your strobe, you can either hold your hand over it or change the angle to use the edge of the light rather than full strength in the center. Visualize a cone shape with the edge catching about half the subject.

Or using the same principal, shoot over it instead of to the side to get a more even covrage. I take a bit of practice but it works pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom