2 divers interested in getting AOW certification in Spring 2006...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Me and my buddy(girlfriend of 2+ years) currently go to school at Rochester Institute of Technology. We both are hearing impaired and love diving. I realize that this is a tad bit early, but I like to plan far in advance (so I can look forward to it!).

Short history of us, We took OW class the same time and got certified in July 2004. We own all of our own gear, including dive lights, compasses, drysuits, bc's, regs. etc... We have done a little over 50 dives so far, with a max depth of 101 feet. We have dove the FL keys, finger lakes in NY, puget sound in seattle, quarries in PA... We're more of a self-trained type, but need the AOW certification just to be able to dive in advanced boat charters.

We are interested in taking an AOW course during our spring break. Preferably in the region of Ocala, FL since that is where my parents live. If you don't sign, don't worry since my parents will be able to interpret for us during classes, etc...

We were wondering if anyone here is teaching AOW between March 4th or 5th to March 10th of 2006? Any glowing recommendations to any shops in the Ocala region that we could contact?

We prefer to be taught by a PADI instructor, but it's not a mandatory thing since most institutions are pretty much the same fundamentally in training AOW. Someone that knows sign language would be a plus, but it is not required as mentioned earlier since I can have my parents to interpret for us.

Thanks!

lets talk. I can even get a sign language interpreter if need to work with us if your parents are not available and I'm not that far from Ocala

Check with C & N Divers (cndivers.com). They have a deaf PADI instructor. He just did a class for the Fla. School for the Deaf. His name is Chris. The uses the springs Ocala for some of three check-out dives

ok thanks guys, i'm still open to anyone else too - keeping my options open...

If you should decide to do your training in NY. I am a NAUI Instructor. I have a freind who signs. I'll check with him and see if he's still "up" with his signing. It's late for this year but if you don't get it done in Florida, I'd be available in the spring.

the good news is that we both have drysuits... we can go diving late (or early spring) in the season.

let me know, appreciate it!

WOW.. I'm impressed at the instructors stepping up to the plate and willing to go the extra mile (or referring to someone) to teach even with the hurdle of a mild language barrier! My hats off to you all!

Yukoneer - Good luck to you with your course, I'm sure that no matter whom you choose you and your girlfriend will receive an education that is well above average from the chosen intrcutor! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom