2 Dive X Sierra for sale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rabbit Tools is still making batteries. I'm sure they could/would build one for the N19 and N37 if you asked nicely. I got quoted $580 to rebuild a Cuda 400 battery last week, plus shipping both ways from California. That is just going in and replacing the cells, so I'm sure it would be similar for the N19 as they are similar watt hours. Sadly that is about the same price as the LiFe packs from Ping, so i'd personally be tempted to get the ones from Ping and give that a whirl.

I talked to Rabbit Tool a couple of years ago about a new battery for my N19. The cells weren't available though they offered to build one with smaller cells and I believe it was going to be 14 a/h or so. I didn't go that route and will probably finally be converting it to LiFe in a few months.

I talked to Rabbit Tool a couple of years ago about a new battery for my N19. The cells weren't available though they offered to build one with smaller cells and I believe it was going to be 14 a/h or so. I didn't go that route and will probably finally be converting it to LiFe in a few months.

As an FYI, I have been on and off the phone with Rodney a few times this week on the subject. They are only supplying Li-Po batteries. The 20ah vipers are made with the same li-po cells as the rest of their scooters. Cost I think was $1200 for the pack to get upgraded. May be a bit more coming from an N19 if you don't have the speed controller, or the sealed battery cartridge thing.
A bunch of guys on the left coast have converted their Vipers over to 30ah packs from Ping which is what I'll be doing in a year or so.

There's a scam going on somewhere. I'm looking at 320ah batteries in an 8D configuration (12V) for 3 grand or so. 54 volt 120 AH golf cart batteries for $2500. Those are LiFeO2. 20 AH 24 volt for $1200 seems ridiculous. Of course, I made my last Sierra battery by buying cells and soldering them just like the Rabbit Tool pack.

@Wookie there is definitely a massive profit margin in there for companies like SS and anyone else selling DPV batteries. If they are making their own, there is a huge expense in the equipment required to do it properly and since the market for batteries is pretty small, they have to spread that across an unfortunately small number of customers. This is all going to start changing quickly though as the shipping regulations start getting tightened. I think you'll see a lot more companies going to a design similar to what Dive Xtras has done with the Piranha, or even what UW Light Dude has done with their battery packs.
UWLD has one small battery pack that they then stack in 2p or 3p for the larger canister sizes. That pack is custom to them due to size limitations and optimization for a dive light which is a bit more strict than on a scooter.
Dive Xtras is using an off-the-shelf e-bike battery for the Piranha and using the same concept as UWLD with their battery slices. If you have a Piranha and the battery dies outside of the 18 month warranty period *which is huge compared to a company like Silent Submersion that only warrants them for 30 days*, and are crafty, you can remove the pack, find out what it is, and go buy one commercially. Since it is for an e-bike, it shouldn't be that difficult. We are likely to do something similar with a Viper LiFe here shortly.
Part of the problem with doing that for other scooters is they use uncommon voltages. Most e-bikes are 36v, that won't cut it with the Viper, but there are a bunch of packs for 24v for now with the conversion from SLA happening.
Where it gets really annoying is for scooters like the Cuda and Magnus that run on a 44.4v nominal pack. I need to talk to a couple people who actually have these motors and see if the "48v" packs can be used. The "common" li-po packs seem to be 14s 51.8v nominal packs, and LifePO4's seem to be 16s/51.2v and I think that might burn the motor out. Could be wrong, hope I'm wrong, but I hope the next generation of DPV's are going to have a motor adjustment to account for the "popular" voltages to save costs for batteries.

Back
Top Bottom