2 Dive X Sierra for sale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buiszie

Contributor
Reaction score
Lombok, Nusa Tenggara Barat, Indonesia, Indonesia
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was wonder what i could get for 2 Dive X Sierra's. They have 2 brand new chargers, but we after we charged the batteries, the engines of both are not working.
Is it costly to fix them or is it better to sell them.

Dive X scooters are nickel powered. Nickel packs are notorious for dying if not very meticulously cared for. They can sometimes be brought back to life with proper cycling and care. Use Google to find some good resources. If the motor isn't turning at all, it's likely that you've got cell reversal....and it might be too late at this point.

As far as repairs go, it's a simple matter of replacing the batteries if you can't revive them. That's not a cheap endeavor, though....nor a simple one if you're wanting to go the non-OEM route.

I would be surprised if the chargers were your problem. Neglect of batteries is probably the problem. The batteries must be actively maintained, with charging and discharging on a routine basis. The real question is, do you have any use for the scooters, enough use to put up with the constant maintenance they require, especially when used in salt water. Motor seal changes, battery maintenance, etc. If not, send them somewhere here someone will take care of them. If so, either build new battery packs or buy new battery packs and use them.

I was wonder what i could get for 2 Dive X Sierra's. They have 2 brand new chargers, but we after we charged the batteries, the engines of both are not working.
Is it costly to fix them or is it better to sell them.

Can you post a few pictures of your scooters and batteries? Specifically, how many wires can you possibly access and how many cells can you see/access? Can you post pictures of the inside and how the batteries are mounted to the rest o the hull? Dimensions like OD of the pack, height of the pack, weight of the pack (alone) might help a lot.

Do you have a multimeter? Getting a voltage reading of the pack would help.

If the motors on BOTH of your Sierras are not working, inspect the wires coming from the motors.
They sometimes get pinched and could explain your problem.
If divers attach the bolt snap from the tow cord to the nose of the scooter.......when they bump the handle to separate the nose and tail section, the tow cord pulls the tail section back down and can chop wires.

A good possibiity is that you may need to adjust the reed switch on each scooter. It is movable, just make a slight adjustment.

Also, the magnet on the end of your trigger rod may be corroded, which prevents it from activating the reed switch.

Last edited:
Rabbit Tool makes new NiMh packs for these or did. Sadly the cells for the SS N19 / 37 are no longer readily available and thus most people are converting them to LiFe batteries which is what I would recommend for your Dive x scooters if the batteries are dead like I suspect

Do you have any sources for the LIFE upgrades for the Sierra? I had a private party make me one, with really good results, but it is nice to have options and I still have one NiMH battery.

Do you have any sources for the LIFE upgrades for the Sierra? I had a private party make me one, with really good results, but it is nice to have options and I still have one NiMH battery.

I don't know of anyone but they are not that popular in Florida. I know Tobin at Deep Sea Supply was building some packs for Dive X scooters a few years ago. I don't know if he is still doing it but I would contact him. If he isn't he might be able to point you in the right direction.

The NiMh batteries can get stubborn if not exercised like mentioned above.
When I bought my used Sierra the battery would only last about one minute. I had to exercise the heck out of it.
But, the battery is about 9 years old and I still get about 11.5ah out of it.

What I did was discharge the battery, recharge, and repeat. After about 5 cycles it started to have some life.
However, the electronics in the scooter protect the battery from low voltage.
At that point I took a pair of car headlights and wired them in series to act as a 24v load with a voltmeter in parallel so I could read the voltage while running the lights.
I would run the battery down to just over 18v then stop. The the resting battery would build voltage again and when it stabilized (usually in the low 20s) I would attack the battery again down to 18ish volts. I would do this over and over to really deep cycle the cells.
I would finally recharge the battery and do the whole thing over again.

You have to be careful of how low you discharge. The cells can suffer polarity reversal (essentially killing the pack) if the voltage falls too low. 18v is pushing it a little for the sierra battery.

This brought my battery back from less the 1/4 amp hour to 13ish three or four years ago. Still using the pack.
I do have to exercise the battery every so often to keep it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom