2 day/1 night liveaboard - Similans vs. Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeyjoe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello - my wife and I will be in Phuket for a couple of weeks around New Years. We are visiting my Dad and because we want to maximize our time with him, we have decided to do just a one night liveaboard trip.
Trying to decide between an overnight to Phi Phi (around 10,000 baht) or an overnight to the Similans (around 15,000 baht).

Are the Similans worth the extra 5,000 baht? I am guessing yes and would love your opinions, including a good operator.

Many thanks.......

The options of overnight trip to Phi Phi from Phuket are very, very limited. The boat that used to offer these does not exist anymore, but you will still find the offer on some websites. The reason it does not exist is that the daytrips these days offer much better value for money.

If you really want to do an overnight trip, go to Similans, if you can also do daytrips, I would do a daytrip to Phi Phi and 1 to King Cruiser-Shark point area, IMO better value with diving on par compared to the Similans trips.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2013 at 02:14 PM ----------

Your price of 10,000 baht BTW points to the boat that does not offer this anymore (the boat does not exist anymore as a matter of fact).

If you can only do 2 days/1 night, then Similan islands is your only option. If you can do a 3 days/3 night (sometimes 2 nights), then you a few liveaboards available.

In my honest opinion, Similan islands only, is not worth it and hasn't been that good for some 3 years now. However! If you can get a trip that include Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, then you are in for some great diving. Some of our guests saw a whale shark recently, but that was the only "big" thing they had. I know, there are just as many opinions, as there are divers.

I personally think Phi Phi islands, Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Koh Haa Yai, The King Cruiser wreck and Shark Point, which normally are the dive sites of a 3 days southern trip are much better. We often see sharks and turtles on these trip and the chances seeing manta rays and whale sharks, are just as big and sometimes even better that Similan islands.

For southern trips, check out Chalong Sea Sport and Scuba Cat. For Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock check out Khao Lak Scuba Adventure and Similan Seven Seas for schedule and prices. Prices are between 15.000 - 20.000 THB for any of these.

Have a great trip whatever you chose and feel free to ask for more details.

Michael

For Phi Phi, you can also catch the morning Phuket-Phi Phi ferry, dive the afternoon (2 dives), crash in a hotel for the night, dive in the morning (2 dives) then hop on the afternoon ferry back to Phuket, you don't need a liveaboard...

For Phi Phi, you can also catch the morning Phuket-Phi Phi ferry, dive the afternoon (2 dives), crash in a hotel for the night, dive in the morning (2 dives) then hop on the afternoon ferry back to Phuket, you don't need a liveaboard...
Yes, very true.

Personally I'd prefer a daytrip from Phuket to Phi Phi and a daytrip to the Shark Point area, but the ferry option also gives the opportunity to do a nightdive.

Yes, Greta has gone as has Calypso, the company owning the boat. The market has slowly changed, and with daytrips now being much more attractive and flexible than they used to be and many people already having paid for their accommodation on Phuket, the demand for that trip has all but disappeared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom