2 am dive standard only in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why. Are so many people diving air in Cozumel? Is nitrox hard to get? It's been 15 years since my last Coz trip so I wouldn't know.
In Bonaire and Hawaii, we often do 5 dives a day (shore, includes night dive). I have a hard time imagining 3 dives running up to NDLs, unless one is using air. And, why would you limit yourself by using air while on a dive trip to a place like Cozumel?
Unless you're just really into the party scene, I don't see that Cozumel has a whole lot of other things to do besides dive. Maybe go to the Mayan ruins one day or a whale shark trip.

1. they are cheap, or;
2. They are hoovers and it doesn't matter, or;
3. they get a little deep for nitrox.

My guess. I always dive nitrox.

If you're not doing three or more dives per day, you are wasting your diving vacation. You can sit around the pool or sight-see back home. Dive, every day, all day.

As RonLee alluded to, a lot of divers and dive ops prefer air for the first dive since there is a good chance it will be a wall. Downwellings are bad enough, using nitrox and watching your PO2 go up to 2+ is not fun at all.

If you're not doing three or more dives per day, you are wasting your diving vacation. You can sit around the pool or sight-see back home. Dive, every day, all day.

I disagree, but that's just me. In a place Like Coz, or Playa, there are lots of other things we like to do. So we do 2 dives a day and still have time to do other things, which leaves me and the Boss happy. Now there are times, like on Liveaboards that I will agree with you.

As RonLee alluded to, a lot of divers and dive ops prefer air for the first dive since there is a good chance it will be a wall. Downwellings are bad enough, using nitrox and watching your PO2 go up to 2+ is not fun at all.

Now you are going to have people thinking downwellings are common. Do we have to beat that dead horse? Really?

How many people take chamber rides EVERYWEEK in Coz?

Why. Are so many people diving air in Cozumel? Is nitrox hard to get? It's been 15 years since my last Coz trip so I wouldn't know.
In Bonaire and Hawaii, we often do 5 dives a day (shore, includes night dive). I have a hard time imagining 3 dives running up to NDLs, unless one is using air. And, why would you limit yourself by using air while on a dive trip to a place like Cozumel?
Unless you're just really into the party scene, I don't see that Cozumel has a whole lot of other things to do besides dive. Maybe go to the Mayan ruins one day or a whale shark trip.
Maybe it's an age thing, or a dive experience thing, but some people can be happy with just two dives a day. Actually, most people are happy with just two dives a day. I've enjoyed intensive dive trips on liveaboards and even on land where I'm doing 4-5 a day, but that's usually in some location where the diving is incredible. For Cozumel, where it's just typical Caribbean diving, why bother overdoing it? A couple of long dives per day is just fine for many people, who might want to enjoy the rest of their vacation days just chilling out, reading a nice book, or socializing with other vacationers. Nothing is more obnoxious than people telling other people how they can best enjoy themselves on vacation.

I don't think anyone is wasting their vacation time if they don't care to dive as much as someone else does. For the most part I dive two dives a day and it's plenty for me, and on some days I go fishing all day and don't dive at all. There is more to my Cozumel vacation than just diving.

Back
Top Bottom