2-24 Monterey Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Yeah, my camera's finally out of the shop. First shots with the new HW converter and YS-110. Still haven't got the angle and distance quite figured out for the new stuff, but the beams really wide and well balanced, with no hotspots and the self cancelling spotting light works great-except that you have to point your strobe straight at the subject, which causes backscatter and scares some of the critters away. Haven't tried the diffuser yet, and I think I'll try turning the light away after the camera holds focus. Here are a few from yesterday.

Big Lingcod
P2240062-01pssm.jpg

Male Kelp Greenling
P2240011-01croppssm.jpg

Missed slightly on this guy, but I liked the way the translucency of the fin shows up.
P2240007-01croppssm.jpg

Goby on an Orange Ball Sponge
P2240023-01pssm.jpg

Blue Rockfish
P2240002-01pssm.jpg

White nudies and a purple ring top (jewelled) snail on the shale.
P2240014-01pssm.jpg

very nice pics, I think that you will find the diffusers will elliminate alot of the glare. i use the Sea & Sea TTL converter with YS90s & diffusers and am very happy with the soft lightening and even coverage.

I guess I should have dove this weekend, looks like it was nicer than I expected!

Take care,
john

Thanks, Ken. Always appreciate your kind comments. Did you ever get up here to Lobos as you mentioned a couple of months back? Love to take you out on the boat if you come up.
John, thanks for the tip. I'll put the diffuser on next week. Sat AM was pretty decent, with little chop and vis about 15-25 chunky feet. It started to get ugly after lunch, and today looked pretty dicey on the beach cams.

Welcome back to the camera world! how long was it in the shop?

That last picture has a lot of life in it, 3 nudis, a snail and is that something at about 1 o'clock, close to the corner...black spot with what looks like two eyes?

Larry C:
Thanks, Ken. Always appreciate your kind comments. Did you ever get up here to Lobos as you mentioned a couple of months back? Love to take you out on the boat if you come up.

No, never made it to Lobos. Some complication came up, but I will get there this year!! Larry that is a very gracious offer, I will let you know when I am coming up and maybe we can dive together. ++Ken++

Leesa, it was actually in the shop for 3 weeks. I had ordered the converter and was using the old stuff while I waited two months so I could pick up the new strobe with the bulkhead already in. Turned out there was a snafu in communicating with HW and it hadn't even been ordered yet. Got one from Cathy Church in a week, and the camera/housing went out for installation. Two weeks later, got word back that the bulkhead had a bad o-ring groove and leaked. To their credit, the shop stayed on top of it and kept me well informed, Cathy Church fed-Xed a new unit personally while her staff were at the show back East and it got back just in time for the first week in months I couldn't dive! All's well that ends well, though.
what you're seeing up in the corner is a clam siphon and two closed Corynactis. Kinda looks like something though, doesn't it? I had to double check, as it was surgy and very chunky vis. The bottom is teeming with life here, usually a crab or two and a bunch of shrimp in pretty much every hole. Occasionally, on the Shale there, you spot a little Octopus as well.
Ken, looking forward to it. PM me when you're coming up. Always room for one more.

Here are just a couple more from my other dive, at McAbee Beach. The abalone pic below isn't memorable, except that it was the biggest ab I've ever seen. For comparison, the snail is about an inch and the starfish about 7-8 inches.

P2240018-01sm.jpg

Painted Greenling

P2240035-02cropsm.jpg

Glad your stuff is working - well done on the pics. I always use the diffuser with my strobes.

Back
Top Bottom