2/10/07 WBP dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Pulled into west bank park at about 10:25am this morning. I was hoping the water would be warmer than the air was (45*). Got set up, waited to see if anybody would show up... seemed like the weather had kept them in. Headed in the water at about 11:00am sharp, WOW, that initial blast of cold water really kicks you in the gut. I was diving with my new 7mil suit and 5mil hooded vest, which worked fantastic and kept me warm, but I seriously need to consider better gloves and booties, the thin little things i was wearing left my hands and feet numb. Water temp was 43* Headed straight out of the cove to a depth of about 35ft, made a wide circle and came back. Max depth was 38ft. Saw a crawdad looking at me wondering what the heck I was doing there. Bottom time was 23 minutes. Surfaced and walked out to find mikerault getting geared up. He was nice enough to let me thaw out for a short SI before heading back in. Second dive was much of the same, straight out of the cove and back in, got seperated breifly (viz was about 10-15 ft, but you lose sight quick after that) surfaced, got back together, went back down and finished the dive. Saw 2 cans, 1 5 gallon bucket and a very lonely brim. Bottom time 19 minutes, water temp 43*. All in all a good day at Lake Lanier. But, yeah, now I have a shopping list: New gloves, new boots.

Yessiree-bob, it gits a mite cold up thar . . .

. . . and people wonder why anyone in Georgia would want a dry suit.

the K-old Water Hater

Wow.. And I was complaining about how I felt when I first got in Vortex a couple weeks ago. (68* water, 51* outside) 3 minutes in, it was great, but initial coolness wasn't fun. You have bigger balls than I do when it comes to cold water Dawg. Well, maybe not after that dive, but definately before it. :rofl3:

Yea it's cold Dawg. Next time try one of my typical profiles. Go strait down to about 80' and stay down there for 30 - 40 minutes, then come back up and let us know how cold you really are.
I tried this same profile when I only had a semi-dry and due to the neoprene comressing at such depths...lets say it took about 2 months to warm back up.

J:

philmottrek99and02:
The water was warmer at ABWA! Too bad you bailed out on us!

Well, I would have, really, but since I normally work saturday night I have to get off of work the week before, and I wasn't sure if I was going to have my new wetsuit by then.

Excuses, excuses.....you could have had about 10 degrees warmer water AND got to dive with all of us!!

I'm just building up the anticipation for when I do come dive with y'all. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom