1st unplanned deco dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think anyone is criticizing SSI instructors, only the "authortativeness" of their written materials on what should be a "standard" tech hand signal.

It is fair to point out that SSI is new to the tech space compare to TDI, IANTD, GUE, etc. and therefore the hand signal chart in SSI materials, which seems out of step on this issue, might not be the best reference compared to more established tech-oriented agencies, none of which to my knowledge teach that.

Honestly, using the deco sign in that fashion to elicit info about NDL sounds exactly what a recreational oriented agency would do.

Signals need to be understood and if I'm on a recreational dive, for example, much as I would prefer to hold 2 fingers horizontally to signal 7, I know that most recreational divers won't understand. Speak their language if you want to be understood.

Agreed - I am one of the 20. You hear the standard "no deco dives" and 'watch your NDL times" during the dive site briefing. Many times I have had the in the water DM check with the group on remaining air pressure at some point during the dive, but I personally have never been given a signal for remaining NDL time. Good information and thanks for sharing.

I can recall at least once a DM briefing us on how to signal "unplanned deco." I believe it was the extended pinkie. Like you, I never knew this sign until I started down the tec diving path.

I think it's glazed over in OW training. Back when I took OW, how to handle unplanned deco was mentioned only very briefly--a note on the back of my old PADI table calls it an "emergency deco" procedure. Nowadays, with computers being the norm, they likely advise you to read your computer's manual and make sure understand what the computer is telling you, should it go into deco mode. The major agencies seem to instill such fear of "going into deco" that they may feel teaching a sign for "unplanned deco" and how to handle it is a bit like the old conundrum of teaching abstinence while handing out condoms.

SSI subscribes to the RSTC standard hand signals for recreational scuba diving.
http://www.neadc.org/CommonHandSignalsforScubaDiving.pdf
Signs for Deco or "remaining time" before NDL are not given.
I'd like to see the SSI manual page that discusses a forward/pointing pinky as a sign for time remaining. Frankly, I'm skeptical that it is anything other than a made-up signal by that particular instructor.

SSI subscribes to the RSTC standard hand signals for recreational scuba diving.
http://www.neadc.org/CommonHandSignalsforScubaDiving.pdf
Signs for Deco or "remaining time" before NDL are not given.
I'd like to see the SSI manual page that discusses a forward/pointing pinky as a sign for time remaining. Frankly, I'm skeptical that it is anything other than a made-up signal by that particular instructor.
There appears to be no signs for inquiring about amount of remaining gas or responding to this question

My wife and kids are SSI OW divers. I just looked on their account materials online and found the SSI hand signals materials - two pages of little graphics, current as of today.

Though they clearly include "tech" hand signals (CCR setpoint changes, etc.), and have the standard "deco" pinkie sign, there is no "NDL remaining" sign and nothing about pointing to your computer with your pinkie. Thus, I do suspect this is one instructor's take on it, which is why no one else seems to have heard of it.

Oddly, the SSI "question" sign is sort of a two hands splayed out under the face with the palms inward - like a "shrug, I don't know". They don't show the crooked finger questionmark sign that everyone else on the planet uses.

I also found the DIL flush sign to be strange - a vertical version of the RSTC "danger" pumping motion, on the left side, with an O2 flush being the same thing, but on the right side. That seemed pretty strange to me (my right or your right? Ooops, I'm hyperoxic...) - I've always used the crush and flush - exaggerated version of "i'm cold" for a DIL flush, but maybe I'm out of step on that.

I still use
@James Sparks if you are going to use a signal for it, please use the "standard" deco sign which is a closed fist with pinky up.
Conversation to ask how much someone has until ndl
"question"
"deco"

response if within NDL
"deco" -acknowledgement of the question
"zero" -I have no mandatory deco
"time" -time until I hit deco
"x-number" -amount of time

response if in deco
"deco"
"x-number"

I still use the oldschool Deco sign of a hand wave over the head .. Give time and then wave for close to deco.. wave over head and than time of deco needed..

Jim...

I still use the oldschool Deco sign of a hand wave over the head ..

Not being old school (ha ha), I had never heard of that, but it sure seems more intuitive than an extended pinky. "I've got a ceiling."

Yes, this happens quite often. But pointing to the computer with the index finger is more general and can mean, 'time' 'elapsed time', or residual time.

For sure. However, in our case, it was covered in the dive briefing as his way of asking for NDL.

Not being old school (ha ha), I had never heard of that, but it sure seems more intuitive than an extended pinky. "I've got a ceiling."

It's funny that you say it is intuitive.. every diver has understood what I was saying... Without a pre-dive talk about it..

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom