1st timer wants to do a liveaboard trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has helped me out as I'm also preparing to do a liveaboard next year. I notice they have night dives, if I did my course work at home, would I be able to do referals on the liveaboard and be credited as a Night Diver? Same for Boat diver.

Once you do a live aboard, you will be spoiled for the rest of your life. Generally, the more expensive, the more luxurious. What has become a favorat of ours is Cuba, but for several reasons, it is very expensive compaird to most. We love it because it's close to Florida, the reefs and are are pristine and there are lots of fish, in the protected dive site.

This has helped me out as I'm also preparing to do a liveaboard next year. I notice they have night dives, if I did my course work at home, would I be able to do referals on the liveaboard and be credited as a Night Diver? Same for Boat diver.
Once you do the dives what would be the point of paying for the cards?

Once you do the dives what would be the point of paying for the cards?
Looks to be a new diver, so may not know that those certs aren’t required to do those dives. Or, may just like taking classes. Now, I’ve never been on a live aboard, which is why I’m following this thread, so maybe some require the night dive cert?

Erik

Looks to be a new diver, so may not know that those certs aren’t required to do those dives. Or, may just like taking classes. Now, I’ve never been on a live aboard, which is why I’m following this thread, so maybe some require the night dive cert?

Erik
Yes I'm a tadpole, I assumed you needed to be certified and have the training to do certain specialties such as Night Diver. It's why I was wondering about taking the instruction at home. As mentioned before, I'm planning on doing my first liveaboard next year, so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks for the responses!

The night dive is typically relatively shallow and done at the same spot as the ones before dinner, so you'll have already seen the site. A strobe is often hung under the boat, which can be seen for a long ways. Probably the most important thing to keep in mind is to not wave your light around and keep it away from the eyes of critters and fellow divers. Depending on where you are, you might get a suprise when a sight feeding predator who was hanging out behind you darts in over your head to grab that little fish you were so thoughtfully lighting up for him.

The night dive is typically relatively shallow and done at the same spot as the ones before dinner, so you'll have already seen the site. A strobe is often hung under the boat, which can be seen for a long ways. Probably the most important thing to keep in mind is to not wave your light around and keep it away from the eyes of critters and fellow divers. Depending on where you are, you might get a suprise when a sight feeding predator who was hanging out behind you darts in over your head to grab that little fish you were so thoughtfully lighting up for him.
When I was in Bonaire a few years ago we called this “fishing with tarpon”. Scared the heck out of me the first time, 😝!

Yes I'm a tadpole, I assumed you needed to be certified and have the training to do certain specialties such as Night Diver.
The main specialities you are apt to need in diving are OW, AOW and Nitrox. Some people would value Deep Diver, if the course is good. Rescue Diver is highly recommended; I found the benefit mainly in learning a new mindset for how to think about diving (and whether to dive), and problems that come up (e.g.: stop-think-act, not immediately freak out and go 'fight or flight'). I haven't done Underwater Navigation or Search & Recovery, but either of those could be useful for skill building.

I don't think you'll find many formal Night Diver or Boat Diver certifications. There are useful things to know on a dive boat, but most people pick them up informally. Ditto night diving.

For those of us who like the option for solo diving, and the freedom it brings, the SDI Solo Diver (I took) or PADI Self-Reliant Diver course can be quite good.

I only have recreational training and cert.s; I figure technical dive training is a whole other discussion.

Once you do a live aboard, you will be spoiled for the rest of your life. Generally, the more expensive, the more luxurious. What has become a favorat of ours is Cuba, but for several reasons, it is very expensive compaird to most. We love it because it's close to Florida, the reefs and are are pristine and there are lots of fish, in the protected dive site.

The main specialities you are apt to need in diving are OW, AOW and Nitrox. Some people would value Deep Diver, if the course is good. Rescue Diver is highly recommended; I found the benefit mainly in learning a new mindset for how to think about diving (and whether to dive), and problems that come up (e.g.: stop-think-act, not immediately freak out and go 'fight or flight'). I haven't done Underwater Navigation or Search & Recovery, but either of those could be useful for skill building.

I don't think you'll find many formal Night Diver or Boat Diver certifications. There are useful things to know on a dive boat, but most people pick them up informally. Ditto night diving.

For those of us who like the option for solo diving, and the freedom it brings, the SDI Solo Diver (I took) or PADI Self-Reliant Diver course can be quite good.

I only have recreational training and cert.s; I figure technical dive training is a whole other discussion.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have earned OW, AOW and Nitrox. I'll save time and money and not worry about the other certs. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom