1st time ear issue...didn't like it!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netwayne

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
There seems to be a number of posts on ear issues but as I sifted through them I didn't see one that exactly matched what I am posting so here goes.....

I have never had any ear issues before although I am a relatively new diver...less than 30 dives. Most of my dives were in Southeast FL in warm water up to about 85 fsw (majority under 65 feet). Lately I have been diving fresh water quarries in NC and VA and on this last trip experienced pretty significant middle ear pain in my right ear with a sensation that water was seeping into my ear. We were diving in about 20-35 feet of fresh water and on the 2 dives I could never fully rid myself of the discomfort despite my equalization attempts and even moving higher in the water column to lessen the pressure. 2nd dive seemed a little bit better than first but still had issues. Coincidentally, one of the other divers in my group complained of ear pain on the 2nd dive as well.

Here's what I observed. We were diving in fresh water vs salt and wondered if people are more prone to ear issues in fresh? Water temp was a little cooler than the usual Florida temps (by maybe 10 degrees) and there was a definite thermocline in the quarry at about 35 feet (we stayed above it). I had no known issues with sinus congestion at all that day.

I will say that I am sure I can improve my equalization efforts and be a lot more conscious of doing them before the onset of ear discomfort. I see there is a video out here by Dr Edmund Kay which I will view for more knowledge and advice on the subject.

So I am curious if others have experienced similar things and what if any were the remedy techniques....

Thanks!!

We were diving in fresh water vs salt and wondered if people are more prone to ear issues in fresh? Water temp was a little cooler than the usual Florida temps (by maybe 10 degrees) and there was a definite thermocline in the quarry at about 35 feet (we stayed above it). I had no known issues with sinus congestion at all that day.

I will say that I am sure I can improve my equalization efforts and be a lot more conscious of doing them before the onset of ear discomfort. I see there is a video out here by Dr Edmund Kay which I will view for more knowledge and advice on the subject.

So I am curious if others have experienced similar things and what if any were the remedy techniques....

Thanks!!

Hi, welcome to the board!

Proper equalization technique is, of course, important, and that video is a good resource. However, it sometimes can be hard to tell for sure whether the problem is a middle ear or external ear issue. A good ENT exam might be able to help distinguish between those two possibilities.

There is no difference as far as equalization between fresh and salt water, although there are some types of outer ear problems (e.g. certain bacterial infections) that are more common in fresh water. It doesn't sound like you are describing a typical swimmer's ear, though... this happened acutely, during the dive, right?

Cold water in the ear canal can cause dizziness (cold caloric response), or discomfort.

The fact that moving up in the water column doesn't make a difference tends to argue against barotrauma, although you certainly can have a "lock" of the middle ear that persists despite ascent.

Did the symptoms get better on surfacing? Did they persist? Hearing loss? Dizziness? Itching?

Mike

Hi, welcome to the board!

though... this happened acutely, during the dive, right?

Did the symptoms get better on surfacing? Did they persist? Hearing loss? Dizziness? Itching?

Mike

Thanks for your response, Mike. Yes, this happened acutely during the dive. Yes, symptoms got better upon surfacing. I was left with what felt liked a clogged ear and soreness in my ear for about a week afterwards. No dizzyness or itching. Hearing a little impaired by that clogged feeling but did go away after a few days.

I have to equalize constantly throughout all of my dives, and if I do so I dont have issues, however diving 30 ft at the lake a few weeks bad, I had some major issues. It felt like it was going to pop. I stayed at the same depth, and it was excruciating, so we slowly went up, and down a few feet, and still hurt. I moved my jaw, and finally it felt like there was a little bubble in my ear that popped, and I felt the water seep into my ear canal.

Didnt know what caused it, but my buddy says maybe I leaned my head sideways, and got water in it. Either way I dont want to experience it again.

I moved my jaw, and finally it felt like there was a little bubble in my ear that popped, and I felt the water seep into my ear canal.

That sounds more like an outer ear issue. You can have barotrauma problems with the outer ear, if the canal is partially blocked by wax or bony growths ("surfer's ear"). They can be more difficult to vent, but the bottom line is that it can be hard to differentiate between middle and outer ear problems without a good visualization of the ear canal and eardrum...

Thanks for your response, Mike. Yes, this happened acutely during the dive. Yes, symptoms got better upon surfacing. I was left with what felt liked a clogged ear and soreness in my ear for about a week afterwards. No dizzyness or itching. Hearing a little impaired by that clogged feeling but did go away after a few days.

If your symptoms are gone now, the ear might look normal. Still worthwhile having someone with experience take a look in your ear.... PM me with your location if you want a local recommendation, I might know someone..!

Mike

That sounds more like an outer ear issue. You can have barotrauma problems with the outer ear, if the canal is partially blocked by wax or bony growths ("surfer's ear"). They can be more difficult to vent, but the bottom line is that it can be hard to differentiate between middle and outer ear problems without a good visualization of the ear canal and eardrum...

Its weird, because even throughout the day I have to 'equalize' my ears. Sitting at work, in the car, at the grocery store.

I had bad problems when I was little, tubes in the ears, tonsils removed, monthly ear infections, etc.

Its weird, because even throughout the day I have to 'equalize' my ears. Sitting at work, in the car, at the grocery store.

I had bad problems when I was little, tubes in the ears, tonsils removed, monthly ear infections, etc.

Hmm... well THAT sounds more like middle ear stuff! Get it checked out and let us know...

Back
Top Bottom