1st time Diving Bali and a fairly new diver (AOW padi certified)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingchic

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be traveling with a non diver, but who's up for some snorkeling. So I'd like to be in places where she can do non diver activities while I'm out under the sea. We'll arrive in mid Jan and have a couple of weeks to spend there. In research I've done so far I've identified a few potential dive sites I'm interested in.

1. nusa lembongan/penida- worth staying on the island or just book a day trip from the mainland? Dive operators?
2. Tulamben-dive operators? planning on staying in Ahmed- accommodation recommendations?
3. Take a boat to Gili T
4. Need to fly through Singapore on my way out back to home. Should I go back to Bali from Gili T or fly from Lombok? 5. Also, is it worth trying to squeeze in Sabah at this time of year on my way out? I have a bit of extra time more than my traveling partner.

1- Nusa Lembongan would be worth staying a few days, nice and quieter island than Bali. your friend could have some snorkeling at Manta bay while you are diving more interesting places. I suggest TwoFish for diving and accoms as well. The downside is that there is not much else than diving in Lembongan (some surfing too).
2- No brainer. Liberty dive resort, dive and stay best bang for your bucks in Tulamben. Coral garden and USAT liberty are good snorkeling spots.
3- You would be able to take a boat to the Gilis from Amed/Jemeluk this would also be another option for staying, nice snorkeling too on Jemeluk.
4- only SilkAir is flying Lombok-SIN, reliable company but more expensive than the other regional carriers while AirAsia or Garuda might be flying from/to Bali to SIN.
5- Sabah is different story, you should then be going back to SIN then fly to Tawau for Sipadan. Sipadan is diveable anytime of the year, while it maynot be optimal in Jan, you should be able to get permits everyday to Sipadan.

Hi,

For the Bali part of the trip I would also consider staying and diving in Padangbai. I was earlier in the year there with a partner that did not dive and she had a great time by herself while I was diving. Snorkelling was good and she was thrilled seeing turtles and blue spotted Rays just from the surface in the Blue Lagoon and the white sand beach.

I have just returned from a second visit to Padangbai, and have update my post on diving in Padangbai if you're curious to read more.

cheers

I agree with Padangbai as well. We stayed at Lotus Bungalows Resort. Top notch dive operation!!!
Hi,

For the Bali part of the trip I would also consider staying and diving in Padangbai. I was earlier in the year there with a partner that did not dive and she had a great time by herself while I was diving. Snorkelling was good and she was thrilled seeing turtles and blue spotted Rays just from the surface in the Blue Lagoon and the white sand beach.

I have just returned from a second visit to Padangbai, and have update my post on diving in Padangbai if you're curious to read more.

cheers

Anyone have any tips on the Gili's. I'm planning on going to Gili T but could possibly be persuaded otherwise. Where to stay...who to dive with?

Anyone have any tips on the Gili's. I'm planning on going to Gili T but could possibly be persuaded otherwise. Where to stay...who to dive with?

Hey, you are coming to the right place for diving :) Just please remember that mid Jan is considered off season for Bali and Lombok.
Surface conditions can be very rough and challenging, not to mention the strong currents.
Of all the options, I like Tulamben the best, but that is because I personally prefer diving in calm surface (I am also still a beginner).

Having said that, you should start communicating with potential dive centers for best advice.
Pick reputable dive centers, you can check this forum or online.
I can give few recommendations (but only because I have used them myself, as there are so many good dive centers out there).
Sanur - BALI INTERNATIONAL DIVING PROFESSIONALS-BIDP | Professional Diving in Bali / Bali Diving / SSI ITC Dive Centre Indonesia (I never use them, but most of my local dive masters highly recommend this place)
Sanur - Bali Marine Sports (one of the oldest local dive centers, I used them as operator for my Raja Ampat trip and they were very professional)
Padangbai - Water Worx (they were quite upfront with their weather concern when I emailed them my plan to dive to Nusa Penida. For me that says something)
Gili Trawangan - Gili Scuba and Manta Dive. I used Gili Scuba before and they were quite professional.

Where to stay in Gili Trawangan: I stayed in Villa Ombak (many years ago when it was the only nice hotel), and in hostels. There are so many options, I don't think you have to worry.
What I think you should know is that Gili Trawangan is mostly known for their parties and good food (best donuts ever). If you want pristine beaches and peaceful surrounding, then Gili Air is probably a better choice.

As for how to travel between Bali - Lombok: Easier to take the ferry back to Bali (Padangbai). Unless you want to explore the main island (Senggigi, Mataram, etc), it is quite a long way to go to Mataram airport and not exactly that cheap.
If you still want to do so, then take a cheap ferry from Gili to main island (about $3), then take Perama bus (about $15-20 on fixed schedules) to airport. Alternative is to take private taxi for about $40-50. There must be a cheaper way but probably not as comfortable and punctual.

Good luck and I am sure you will have a good time, rain or shine.

On the Gili Islands we go to Gili Air and stay and dive with Manta Dive Resort. We're off there again for the fourth time in 6 years, all the way from the UK!
It's great for divers and snorkelers as well, beautiful laid back island with fantastic beach bars and restaurants, highly recommend it, we always have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom