1st time Diver Hood Canal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My husband and I are traveling to Silverdale area for Thanksgiving and are looking to dive somewhere close. Any suggestions? We usually dive Monterey and only have 7mm wetsuits are dry suits needed?

MANTARAYDIVER:
My husband and I are traveling to Silverdale area for Thanksgiving and are looking to dive somewhere close. Any suggestions? We usually dive Monterey and only have 7mm wetsuits are dry suits needed?

Are you looking for a boat or shore dive? What's your experience level? What do you want to see - wolf eels and octo's, wrecks, walls, or just get wet and look around? Comfortable diving in some current? Many of the most interesting sites are current sensitive, but some are not. How close is "close"? Hood Canal is about an hour from Silverdale. Several good South Sound sites are also within an hour of Silverdale, and there are a few other good ones nearer than that.

Depending on your experience level, you might want to start with a dive at Harper Dock near Port Orchard, as a relatively easy but still interesting first Northwest dive. The Hood Canal sites are also pretty easy current-wise, but the Canal is presently experiencing a fish die-off due to low oxygen levels, so there may not be much life to see. I'd suggest checking later to see if it's worth heading over there.

It is divable in 7mm's up here. Warmer dry, especially for repetitive dives, but still doable in wetsuits.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info. I live in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom