1st Stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Caveeagle I think it is just a slightly lower cracking effort required from some slight dimension adjustments. Not something you're going to really notice in the real world. MAYBE able to tell in a blind test, but there are too many other variables out there.

Same on the second stages, I know the cases are the same, but I think the diaphragms may be a bit different, unsure. @cerich may be able to weigh in a bit since he designed them.

.. I prefer that set to the Hog D3/Zenith, and it's leaps and bounds ahead of the D1/Classic

@tbone1004 ..I promise, I am not trying to be a PITA, and (I know if am off topic).. But your comment above seems a bit out of focus based on the limited information I have been able to find.

I also think its kind of interesting that HOG seems to be phasing out the D1, just and D6 has introduced their 'DGX' offering. Which is pretty much the same first stage, right?

For context.. I think much of peoples skepticism about buying into HOG or Deep6, is the risk that you might end up with orphaned regs that you can't get parts for. It would seem that transparency would be good to help divers confidence that these regs will remain useful for years to come.

@Caveeagle leaps and bounds ahead doesn't always mean performance.
The fit and finish of the D3 is ahead of the D1, the offset DIN inlet means better hose routing with less stress on the hoses in doubles and sidemount, and they look cooler. The Deep6 takes all of that and adds an even better surface finish and higher quality internal parts.

DGX regs will have to be verified by Chris, but I imagine they will be nominally the same as the D1's including interchangeable parts.

The parts orphanage bit. Remember that ODS makes all of these regulators. ODS is a BIG company who sells regulators a lot of people. Sure you may not be able to buy them direct from HOG if they go out of business for whatever reason, but you can use parts from other suppliers if you have to. No different than using Apeks branded kits in the HOG D1's when they had an issue with HP seats, or using the same in Zeagle regs if you have one of the Zeagle badged Apeks. No different than the Salvo, and TDL badged regulators that are using parts from other sources.
These aren't massively redesigned regulators like the Poseidon MK3 where you truly are f*cked if Poseidon stops making parts. They aren't custom pistons like the Atomic or Scubapro where you are properly f*cked if they stop making parts, they're pretty standard soft parts that are designed specifically to use normal parts kits. Apeks uses the exact same parts kits for all of their second stages from the TX up to the XTX, three generations of regulators, all very different looking, all identical parts. They do the same for their first stages. They're being smart about it. @cerich isn't an idiot, he's making changes where changes count, but not going so radical that the go the way of the Dacor's.

Boil your left over chicken bones and save the liquid in the freezer as stock for a gumbo.

Before a wise-ass sees a typo and comments, edit your post. You have 24 hours to do so.

Re the first stage. Almost any second stage will work with almost any first stage. Poseidon being an exception as the first stage has a higher than usual intermediate pressure. (175 psi where most others are around 135 psi)

Thank you for your service.
The divers supply reg is perfectly usable for that. If I were buying new second stages though, I would just bite the bullet and get a full doubles or sidemount set of regulators now if you can swing it, will save you quite a bit of money down the road.
Deep 6 Signature Double Tank Regulator Package - Regulator Packages - Regulators
this guy is very high quality and reasonably priced. I prefer that set to the Hog D3/Zenith, and it's leaps and bounds ahead of the D1/Classic
Thank you so much for the help.

@tbone1004 ..

I also think its kind of interesting that HOG seems to be phasing out the D1, just and D6 has introduced their 'DGX' offering. Which is pretty much the same first stage, right?

For context.. I think much of peoples skepticism about buying into HOG or Deep6, is the risk that you might end up with orphaned regs that you can't get parts for. It would seem that transparency would be good to help divers confidence that these regs will remain useful for years to come.

yes

I don't often get called not transparent.. HOG has been around 9 years now, Deep 6 just shy of a year selling gear. I intend to make parts available for Deep 6.

It is VERY, VERY unlikely that not being able to get parts for them will happen, either brand.

@Caveeagle leaps and bounds ahead doesn't always mean performance.
The fit and finish of the D3 is ahead of the D1, the offset DIN inlet means better hose routing with less stress on the hoses in doubles and sidemount, and they look cooler. The Deep6 takes all of that and adds an even better surface finish and higher quality internal parts.
I concur regarding the D3 vs. D1 question. I had one of each for my sidemount rig, and the D3 was simply easier to work with, so I got another one and mothballed my D1.

The parts orphanage bit. Remember that ODS makes all of these regulators. ODS is a BIG company who sells regulators a lot of people. Sure you may not be able to buy them direct from HOG if they go out of business for whatever reason, but you can use parts from other suppliers if you have to. No different than using Apeks branded kits in the HOG D1's when they had an issue with HP seats, or using the same in Zeagle regs if you have one of the Zeagle badged Apeks. No different than the Salvo, and TDL badged regulators that are using parts from other sources.
Interesting... One of the staff members at one LDS is quite opinionated, and he sez that they won't even try servicing HOG regulators because of parts issues. Is he completely delusional? Suffering from residual narcosis? Just an overly-enthusiastic missionary for the Church of Scubapro? Or does he have a point?

Interesting... One of the staff members at one LDS is quite opinionated, and he sez that they won't even try servicing HOG regulators because of parts issues. Is he completely delusional? Suffering from residual narcosis? Just an overly-enthusiastic missionary for the Church of Scubapro? Or does he have a point?
LOL...

When I was running HOG/EDGE I don't think I can recall where we were ever out of service kits for more than a week or two, and that was maybe twice..maybe.

Honestly, I have heard so may stories of stuff that shops say to discredit brands they don't sell that nothing surprises me anymore.

I concur regarding the D3 vs. D1 question. I had one of each for my sidemount rig, and the D3 was simply easier to work with, so I got another one and mothballed my D1.

Plus, you're in Atlanta, Divers Supply is in Atlanta, Divers Supply is involved with EDGE HOG.. connect the dots

Plus, you're in Atlanta, Divers Supply is in Atlanta, Divers Supply is involved with EDGE HOG.. connect the dots
The guy was referencing the quality of internal parts, not supply issues (apologies for not being clearer on my original post), and he claimed that just working on a HOG was likely to damage its innards. But yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom