1st Stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USMC CPL.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all.

My question is this and hopefully I can get some food advise here. I am looking at buying new hog second stage regulators and was wondering about the 1st stage if I should replace it as well. My 1st stage is from Divers supply their house brand. It is rated for 3500 psi. I have no problems with the 1st stage but have had to have both my primary and secondary regulators rebuilt. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Neil.

food advise here.

Boil your left over chicken bones and save the liquid in the freezer as stock for a gumbo.

Sorry good advise.

Before a wise-ass sees a typo and comments, edit your post. You have 24 hours to do so.

Re the first stage. Almost any second stage will work with almost any first stage. Poseidon being an exception as the first stage has a higher than usual intermediate pressure. (175 psi where most others are around 135 psi)

Thank you for your service.

Boil your left over chicken bones and save the liquid in the freezer as stock for a gumbo.

Before a wise-ass sees a typo and comments, edit your post. You have 24 hours to do so.

Re the first stage. Almost any second stage will work with almost any first stage. Poseidon being an exception as the first stage has a higher than usual intermediate pressure. (175 psi where most others are around 135 psi)

Thank you for your service.

only the Cyklon runs at high IP and it is 165, not 175. The Jetstreams and Xstreams run at 123psi, but can easily function at 135, just a bit stiffer cracking effort

your first stage will be fine. HOG is actually partially owned by the same guys that own Divers Supply and are headquartered out of the main Divers Supply location.
Thanks. In the future I am wanting to go tech. What type of 1st stage would be good for that.

Thanks. In the future I am wanting to go tech. What type of 1st stage would be good for that.

The divers supply reg is perfectly usable for that. If I were buying new second stages though, I would just bite the bullet and get a full doubles or sidemount set of regulators now if you can swing it, will save you quite a bit of money down the road.
Deep 6 Signature Double Tank Regulator Package - Regulator Packages - Regulators
this guy is very high quality and reasonably priced. I prefer that set to the Hog D3/Zenith, and it's leaps and bounds ahead of the D1/Classic

.. I prefer that set to the Hog D3/Zenith, and it's leaps and bounds ahead of the D1/Classic

Can you clarify exactly what is better about the D3 over the D1..... And the Zenith over the Classic 2nd?

Other than the fact that the D3 turret can rotate 360* with hoses attached. I have even read that the D1 might actually breath a little better. Also, I have taken apart both the Classic and Zenith 2nds. The last HOG 1st stage I purchased was a D1. And I asked around if there was any good reason to move to the D3 and did not find anything firm.

I know they have different service kits with one piece different.. but they really are pretty much the same except for the front cover. I have also noticed the same laser part# on a classic body that is on a D6 2nd stage.. So is there really any significant difference? or just aesthetics?

@Caveeagle not sure where you read tha the d1 breathed better, it has not been my experience.

The Zenith is just a bit of a case upgrade to the D1, it breathes a little smoother, but is not enough of an improvement to justify spending the money to upgrade. The parts are all interchangeable, but I believe the new case design allows for a bit better venturi.
The D3 has some upgrades to it other than the turret that make it a bit easier to work on, and the cracking effort a bit easier.

The Deep 6 first stage is essentially the D3 first stage with some upgraded internals. Parts kits are interchangeable.
The Deep 6 second stage is essentially the Zenith second stage but with an upgraded poppet that lowers the WoB a bit. Again, not enough to warrant the expense of upgrading, but if you're buying new, it is where I would go.

@TBone, I talked to a couple folks including Jack at HOG. But don't remember exactly who said the D1 breathed "better". But I had a couple D1s already and needed to buy another set and wanted to weigh any advantage of the D3 against a desire to keep my kids all using the same reg configuration. So, if there is a performance advantage of the D3, I would sure like to see some specifics. Maybe they will get into more detail when I take the TDI/HOG class..

Re the 2nd stages.. I have a classic and Zenith both here in my office, and they both share the same "CE1463EN250" part number etched onto the lower body. *My earlier classics don't all show this #, so maybe any casting upgrade made it to some of the classics too???

In the absence of any real DATA, I would not dispute the newer model might be better.. Just looking for some specifics, other than "newer....must be better".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom