1st Sharks Cove night dive of 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice video Drew. So sad to see the typical fish hook in the shark though!! That's a very common thing here on Maui. That leader looks like it is very likely to get snagged on something. Is that a popular fishing spot?

This video was shot in our north shore MLCD (Marine Life Conservation District). It is safe to assume that that shark was just passing through and wasn't a resident, although illegal fishing does exist with the park...but thats a whole separate problem.
To learn more about Pupukea MLCD click here

w/b drew!

outstanding video..

the big conger looks cool with its broad stripes..
was it within the caverns to the far left? almost to firehouse?
that's where i saw a giant one!

I still have yet to see a brotula :)31) and am kinda looking forward to it.

Cool whitetip. Have you considered sending pictures in to whitetip.hawaii.edu? The site operator uses the black spot patterns on the side to track the sharks around Hawaii. I put in a couple of semesters helping out with the ID's. I've seen sharks hooked like that before and eventually the hook rusts out, but not before leaving an awful scar. A lot of them break their jaws (thus the drooping mouth look). It is really sad. Even worse, somebody sent in pictures of 2 sharks found on the bottom off Maui with their jaws removed but otherwise intact. We identified the animals from pictures taken before.

Back
Top Bottom