1st regulator, advice appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChaCha225

New
Reaction score
After 5 years of diving, I've decided to invest in my first kit. While I've been able to find helpful reviews online, it's been challenging to get more detailed information regarding how regulators within a price tier or brand compare. I am hoping the amazing community here could help me finalize my kit. Thank you!!!

About me: Male, early 30's, work as medical resident. Multiple trips to SEA and the Caribbean, 200+ dives. Over the coming years I foresee 2-3 trips per year back to the Caribbean as well as local diving in the Great Lakes on the weekends (relatively cold).

BCD: I just ordered a Zeagle Stiletto

Regulator: Based on my research, I think I would be best served by a balanced regulator with a yoke attachment that is suitable for travel and local diving in both warm and cold waters. I am agnostic as to piston (ideally environmentally sealed) vs diaphragm. My price range is up to $700. I am considering the options below but wasn't sure how they compare. I would be very grateful for your thoughts and am also open to any suggestions not listed here. Thanks again!!!

Oceanic Delta 5 eDX, $550 (link)
Zeagle F8, $650 (link)
Apeks XL4+, $620 (link)
Apeks XTX50, $630 (link)

Cold water diver here.
So, I'd go like this.
Diaphragm def,and sealed def.

If you have a local LDS which services and or sells regs, and is one of the regulator you chose, go for it.
But form the 4 you are considering, I'd go with the Apeks XTX50/DST.

And if you wanna save up some money, and are shopping online, DGX or Deep 6 are a popular opinions which from what I've gathered are as good as Apeks.

Also, I'd get a DIN, since you can attach it to both valves. INT regs just need to stop IMHO.

Here is an excellent primer that will explain a lot of things to consider:

An Atomic M1 is just a little over your budget....you could get a 10% off code and it would be in your budget also any Atomic as long as the first stage is sealed.
You could get Deep6 signature series first stage, second stage and octo for that amount

F 8 is excellent

Based on you being in North America (based on how you spelled realize), I'd suggest Deep 6 as it is high performance for a moderate price. You get one service free, and you can either be trained to service it yourself or mail it to Deep 6 or a certified person.

Even if you buy another brand, chances are you will eventually mail it to a NLDS if your LDSs keep screwing up.

Sherwood SR2 - flow through piston which is environmentally sealed and internally dry without gooping it up. After taking the @rsingler regulator class in which it was discussed, I've really picked up an interest in this regulator... Ingenious design (which is no surprise with the Sherwood history in regulators)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom