1st post! Headed to Roatan! NOV 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FistBumps

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there!

New to the board, was reading it for some research and thought I'd jump in.

I'm an Open Water Diver who moved inland and took a poor paying job (slave wages!)to get into my industry and now I have some travel benefits from an airline so I'm headed out to Roatan to FINALY USE MY GEAR!!

Looks like myself and my girlfriend will be staying at Cocolobo and diving with West End Divers. Bannanarama was a close second so maybe I'll try them out next time.

I'll be doing my Advanced since I need to brush up on some skills and my girlfriend will be doing her OW this week as well (e-learning).

Lots of great info on here!!!!

Anybody else around?

Cocolobo is in a really nice location, I spent most of a summer just up the ironshore from there. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Please give us a trip report and let us know how things went, dive ops etc. I'll have my first dive day there 1 month from today. (But who's counting).

Have a great time! Lots of good dive ops in Roatan but good choice with West End Divers. Good choice for instructors as well but you will really enjoy Mickey who leads most dives. Hope to get there myself this month.

Hi there!

New to the board, was reading it for some research and thought I'd jump in.

I'm an Open Water Diver who moved inland.......

Lots of great info on here!!!!

Anybody else around?

Have a Great Trip!!!! We're waiting for a trip report when you return.

This is a great board for sharing information and getting information. There are a few others....ScubaToys also has a forum if your looking for more forums.

I see you are in the Chicago area. We have a website at www.midwestmuckdiving.com that is directed toward thw midwest diver (sorrry for the shameful plug, but you asked for more).

Just got back from my first trip to Roatan. Had a great time, but a few issues with the resort I stayed at, but the island was great.

Snagel

Roatan Trip Report

Cocolobo Resort:
A nice boutique hotel with around 10 rooms right RIGHT on the water. However, no swimming it is a coral shore. The main house has a small bar staffed by Bonnie and Ron who are your hosts. Seating area and dining area and a sun deck with a small infinity pool. Nice rooms with deck, hammocks and wood floors, AC, hot water etc... Secluded, a five minute walk from town. I'd stay there again. Good place for couples, very relaxing.

West End Divers:
A really fun shop! Ownership is usually on site and hands on. Mel is the shop manager and very friendly, also can hook you up with things to do on the island. I did my Advanced Open Water and had Laura as instructor. The rest of the staff is very good and friendly also. Laid back atmosphere with personal attention.

Best dive I did was "Hole In The Wall" 130' descent along a tight ravine bottoming out in a sand pit then ascending back up to some shallow caves and fun swim-throughs, really fun.

The weather right now is hit or miss and if it gets real bad you will be driving to the other side of the island to dive.

All and all it was a fun trip. West End is really laid back and you will run into the same people all over and feel like a local in no time. Bring bug spray!!!!!!!!!!!

Please give us a trip report and let us know how things went, dive ops etc. I'll have my first dive day there 1 month from today. (But who's counting).

I can't believe you haven't added a counter to your signature line yet :D

I can't believe you haven't added a counter to your signature line yet :D

:) My wife has, but I told her the time goes by too slow if I see it every day. We've had our first snows the other day and I'm looking forward to some place warm. :)

:) My wife has, but I told her the time goes by too slow if I see it every day. We've had our first snows the other day and I'm looking forward to some place warm. :)

Don't worry...it'll be plenty warm! But just in case, be sure to bring a jacket with you on the dive boat. When it is rainy or windy and you are wet from diving, you get COLD on the boat rides :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom