1st Drysuit purchase now what (hints/tips?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DWJ:
Speaking of Rock boots. I just got my first pair and looked at the instructions for the laces and setting them up to go diving. Why can't I just tie the things rather than wrapping the laces around the boot and using the velcro in the back?.

I think the reason DUI suggests doing it that way is so the laces are not a entanglement hazard plus its probably easier than tying them. Regardless if you tie your laces like a regular shoe lace just be sure to tuck the losse ends inside the boot so they dont get caught up on something. I have also read where some people have replaced the laces with bungee cord which eliminates the extra lace cord, tying and stowing the extra cord as the bungee stretches when you don your boot

Edit: I see Chris beat me to it. I am gonna start calling him Turbo Typer :D

CALI68:
To avoid a huge entagelment hazard! Some people have even used thin bungee chord in lue of laces. That way, you never have to tie 'em.

Yea, that's true but as I played with the laces trying to get the length to cut them I kept getting 2" - 3" of excess. I still havn't cut the laces yet. I like the bungee Idea I just might try that.

Thanks

Dave

Need to do something with the attached boots as they are 2 sizes to big. My options then are to either wear extra socks (lots of socks) and use "fin keepers" or send unit out to DUI and get something else installed?

The Dry glove looks to me the way to go with the removeable liners. Also as far as hoods go, sorry for the inexperienced questions but can i get a hood attached to the dry suit and if so are there pros and cons to doing this? Getting a seperate hoodie does it go over or under the suit seal? I know duh !!!

Thanks all and Happy New Year !!!

wfmiller:
Need to do something with the attached boots as they are 2 sizes to big. My options then are to either wear extra socks (lots of socks) and use "fin keepers" or send unit out to DUI and get something else installed?

The Dry glove looks to me the way to go with the removeable liners. Also as far as hoods go, sorry for the inexperienced questions but can i get a hood attached to the dry suit and if so are there pros and cons to doing this? Getting a seperate hoodie does it go over or under the suit seal? I know duh !!!

Thanks all and Happy New Year !!!

The hood goes over the seal. Get a seperate hood.

I would definately send it in for some Turbo Soles or Soft Socks/Rock Boots that are your exact size (with a nice pair of "smart wool" socks or similar). You don't want all that extra space in the foot pocket. You're just asking for trouble in terms of floaty feet and trapped air.

I dove the rockboots for the first time yesterday and the laces turned out not to be a big deal at all. Thanks to all for the help.
This was a beach dive called the Frozen Fin in New London CT. I really liked the boots although I should have worn warmer socks. Water temp was 42.

Hi wfmiller, Congratulations on purchasing a drysuit. Drysuits are very awesome. I think everyone gave you good responses to your questions. If you have any more questions, you should ask my good friend, Susan Long. She is very helpful answering questions about her products. Take care and safe diving. Matt :wink:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Congrats on your purchase. Just got my suit a couple weeks ago. (OS systems HDPro). definitely take a class. my instructor strongly advised me to do it. will be hitting the pool soon for confined water part then down to our heated lake for open stuff. will probably do deep specialty same weekend. but any way you could use more socks. not cotton ones!! invest a couple extra bucks and get some with good wicking properties or you'll be sloshing in them. also the fin keepers? ( are these the same as ankle straps that minimize the amt of air in the feet?). also has anyone tried the dry suit gaiters from Dive Rite. saw them on their site and my instructor is going to check on them but has anyone tried them? if so do they work?

scubadobadoo:
In addition to taking a class I suggest buying DRY SUIT DIVING by Dick Long. I found this book helpful before and after the class. A good all around dry suit reference book for your library and not too expensive. Covers every topic from use to fixing, to history and undergarments. A book you won't out grow quickly. Congrats! :wink:
This book on dry suit diving? Its in its 3rd edition, however one review says that its not much on how to dive as much as history and care taking - have you read it and can you state if this is the case or not?

Just before xmas i bought a drysuit. I spent a little time going over emergency proceedures with my instructor as i was at the same dive site, but it wasnt a formal class. Since those first few hours of frustration of trying to get the feel of where it balanced it has continued to be a challenge (i am sure that will continue for a few more dives yet), but i have the trim thing better, the dumping is coming along (although i think i had a little more in the suit than to get rid of the squeeze - again to be worked on) and i am sure over time i will get used to the limited mobility and awkward way it restricts my kicking from my previous wetsuit flexibility! Still looking for more help and tips, i might buy that book if it turns out to be helpful beyond maintenance and history.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom