1st Dive Ever - Where in Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lexk

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I've snorkeled ... but never Scuba! I'm (and my 16 yr old son after school finishes in a few weeks) studying the PADI online, and will do pool, then quarry cert dive (Michigan/Ohio) in June! In July, I'm going to Maui for my 20th Anniversary, and would like any thoughts on where (and with whom?) I should do my first-ever dive, and my second? I don't think my wife will let my son and I get away for more than two days. I want to make the most of it. Thank you so much for any and all thoughts!

Molokini crater would be good, easy, though costly (boat dive).

Shore diving on the cheap, Ulua Beach and Ahihi Bay if you're staying on the South side (Kihei or Wailea). Not sure of choices if you're on the West side (Lahaina, Kaanapali).

Regardless though, the dive shop you pick will have good suggestions and know about the conditions of that particular day. Enjoy!

I'd recommend joining Maui Mantas on Facebook (Facebook Groups). They are a great bunch and quite active. Lots of shore diving which is quite inexpensive and less overhead.

Seconding Makena Landing (same as 5 Graves or 5 Caves). It is especially good if you can arrange for a guide to ensure hitting the highlights. Lots of arches and very often there will be small whitetip reef sharks sleeping under ledges.

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm staying near Lahaina, so maybe Mala shore dive near there for 1st, and Makena 5 Graves for the second? Do you think 5 Graves might be too tough for our second dive? Again, thank you so much for your thoughts.

Red Hill, accessible by boat out of Kihei is nice. Can't fault the interior of Molokini, Mala Pier, or 5 caves/graves either for your situation.

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm staying near Lahaina, so maybe Mala shore dive near there for 1st, and Makena 5 Graves for the second? Do you think 5 Graves might be too tough for our second dive? Again, thank you so much for your thoughts.
I'd do some dives with folks at Maui Mantas preferably with Rodney or Scott to evaluate your skills and comfort level.

An extra vote for Molokini crater.

It's a great first boat dive. The site is almost like a swimming pool, it's shallow, sheltered and full of life.

It's also small and full of other drivers.

Probably not a place that you will dive a bunch of times, but it felt like the kind of place you see on a TV show.

Back
Top Bottom