1st camera..suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The MX-10 and the Reefmaster are good places to start. If you catch the bug, though, you will discover that underwater photography can get fairly expensive.

Be warned, though, that at depths below about 25 feet your photos will tend toward the blue. If you are like many of us and want more than a few snapshots for the album, start thinking about higher end Sea & Sea models or a Nikonos V (while new ones can still be had).

Scorpionfish

I did want to comment about the Reefmaster. I used mine for a year, logged about 50 dives. Two warm water trips, one to the Keys and one to Belize. It does take good pictures and is easy to use. My biggest hang-ups with the camera are macro capability and framing. I have a macro lens for the camera and it covers 2-4 feet, not even close enough. The next step lens only cover 18" (and no other distance), also not close enough. As bad as that is framing is just a nightmare, all shots are from the hip and a guess rather you got your subject in the frame. I was diving in Belize when a VW sized Loggerhead turtle was swimming directly for me. I squeezed off one shot when he was a ways out and then waited. Just as he passed over I took another shot of him and the two Remoras on his underside. A month later when I got the pictures back I only had one fin in the frame. When I saw that picture, I started down the digital road.

Now I have a Sony DSC-P5 digital, half the size and weight of the Reefmaster, twice the features including a 3x zoom (something I've yet to use underwater), and it focuses from 4" to infinity. And the best feature is what you see in the LCD is exactly what your picture looks like. The total for the camera and case is around $800. My $.02.

Jason,

I'd suggest renting a camara. If you only plan on taking camara on a few dives, go ahead and rent down there. If you plan on taking the camara on most dives, you might see if you can find one up here to rent for the week.

Either way, I would strongly suggest renting a MACRO lens also. They are great for taking pics of the little critters that you will see in Bonaire (Sea horses, frog fish, orange coral pollups, etc).

Another nice feature of the MAcro lens is the framer. It helps beginning photogs to line up their shots and get the correct distance from the lens.

Have fun in Bonaire. It's my favorite spot in the caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom