1st camera..suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My gf and I are new divers in the Chicago area. I am into the videography thing and am all squared away, but my gf needs a camera. We are going to Bonaire in November and will try and frequent the ocean as much as $$$ permits.

What is a decent camera too purchase (non-digital) for underwater photography. I do not want to purchase a housing for this one, so it must be specifically for U/W use.

Price is a factor because we are new and ocean trips are going to be few and far in between. Been to the quarries/lakes up here and nothing is worth taking pictures of.

Thanks,

Jason

You might be better off buying a couple of disposables. Kodak is coming out with a new UW disposable that is good to 30 meters. Alot cheaper, and they take pretty good pictures. Down the road look for a mid-priced digital that you can get a resonable UW housing.

maybe rent instead?? You could get an mx10 with strobe for around.... 450.00 or so?? I'm guessing based on a quick web search.

You can rent cameras on bonaire.... Phototour divers, buddy's, capt. don's, and others... around 25-35/day.

I guess you need to figure out if it's worth the purchase price vs. the use you would get out of it... or if it would be better to rent for a few days.

At depth, wont we be wasting our time taking pictures because everything will be blue?

I am cost minded, but I think disposables might be at the very low end of the spectrum for us. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jason

well i have kinda been in same boat the Sealife Reefmaster SL515 cameras are ok but to be honest most people I talk too recomended the strobe too

Some do have a strobes, not sure about the new Kodaks. Much less of a problem in the shallow clear waters of Bonaire. The low end UW cameras are still going to set you back $300 or so and you'll end up with a camera you wouldn't like or use later on. Kind-of like the Reefmaster sitting in my closet at home, which doesn't do much better than a disposable. YMMV.

hum strang I have seen some pretty good pictures out iof the reefmaster
as stated above The low end UW cameras are still going to set you back $300 or so and you'll end up with a camera you wouldn't like or use later on. Kind-of like the Reefmaster sitting in my closet at home, which doesn't do much better than a disposable. YMMV.
how many times have you used it and practiced with it .

Renting a MX-10 is a good idea for new divers on a first trip. It's the first in a long line of dedicated u/w camera that require no housing. You'll have the chance to see if you even like u/w photography, the camera is a good one and easy to use. I started out with one and used it for a couple of years before I upgraded.

S&S MX-10 and strobe are $400-600, depending on where you get it. The complete system is around $1200 depending.

medic13, are you sure you have got everything in your equipment list in your signature?

what about the kitchen sink?

looks like commonal garden dive gear

I have thousands and thousands of $ in photo equipment. Land and underwater. So what is the only thing I've ever won in a raffle? A Sealife Reefmaster camera! Of course I had to go play with it, and was quite supprised in how well it worked for a simple point and shoot UW camera. Takes some pretty good snap shots, in shallow water, were there is still light and color.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom