19cft bottle what to do with it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren, thanks I'll try that as well see what's comfortble for me.

I just got a 19 Cu ft pony for Christmas. I got the Zeagle Pony Straps Seen Here. To be honest with you I haven't used it yet but I've read nothing but great reviews from everyone who used them. It all depends on what you're doing while diving. If you're spearfishing then "slinging" the bottle is going to get in your way. That's why I got the Zeagle straps. If you do some searches on them you'll see what I am talking about. Also, with these straps you don't have to permanently attach any kind of device on either your pony or your main tank. The Zeagle straps hook into your BC straps so changing main tanks is a snap.

When I first got a pony I followed the popular suggestions here which were to sling the bottle like mentioned above. it is cheaper but after about 20 dives or so I decided to switch to what other local divers were using, the quickdraw bracket. I sling my aluminum 40 bailout bottle and everything else but the 19 works fine on my back for single tank recreational dives.

my aluminum 6 for suit inflation is attached to my plate via a dive rite light attachment strap, works well so far. a 19 could be done this way to but I dont think I would like it.

I started out with a 13 cu ft pony in a Akona bag attached to my main tank. It moved around, clanked the main tank, just did not feel secure to me. Next I tried a super pony tamer. If I'm bug hunting or spear fishing, I like this set up but I had to move some weight around. Kept rolling to the side with the tank. If I'm not hunting, just going deep or making a wreck penetration, I prefer to sling it in front. Doc's suggestion works great, I purchased a stage bottle kit for my al 30, good training for handling a stage bottle if you plan to move in that direction. I replaced the button gauge with a full size one on a short hose and replaced the short hose on the reg with a standard length one, elastic straps keep it tight to the tank.

Good luck, I hope you never really need it, but it's good insurance if a insta-buddy disappears on you when you really need to share air.

I would sling it too (across the parking lot :D). The only thing a 19 is good for is a rebreather (to big for argon). Sell it and get at least a 30, or preferably a 40.

Like Matt t said. If you consider the amount of gas needed, a 19 is could be insufficient in case of a deep dive emergency, that's when you would need it the most.

I would sling it too (across the parking lot :D). The only thing a 19 is good for is a rebreather (to big for argon). Sell it and get at least a 30, or preferably a 40.
I was thinking about getting a 19 earlier and after reading alot here on SB, decided on a 30. I went to the LDS, talked with the tech there and he let me try his 40, (they didn't have any 30's in stock). He assured me he could blindfold me and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 30 or 40. Well, I didn't try it blindfolded, but I couldn't believe how unobtrusive it was. I went ahead and got the 40, slung it, and I can barely tell it's there. Now I have a pony that has a GOOD amount of emergency air, and it is a great start for a stage bottle in the future.:D

So, my new pony arrived three weeks ago and it is still laying under the desk in my office as I decide whether to return it and get a smaller one like the pony that TSA removed from my luggage :bash:

1) I've been worried that it may be to big
2) debating whether I should back mount it, or side sling it

having seen this link and how easy it to whip up a stage rig, I think I may just give it a try and if it doesn't work I've lost only a few quid and a trip to B+Q

problem is ....

I have no clue about measurements :shakehead:

How long does the rubber tube need to be?
How far down the bottle do I put the clamp?
I can see how much line needs to be left on the ends from the pictures
I use a Halcyon Eclipse and I'm 164 cm tall (5'4)
The cylinder is a 3 liter Luxfer (19 cf)

If I think it is too big .... does anyone want to buy a 3 liter Luxfer used once in Wraysbury lake. UK buyers only :D

Thanks

Venus

In spite of all the dimensions in that link being clearly indicated you still don't know what the measurements are?

Thanks Slim

So, it makes no differnce that I am using a much smaller bottle than the one in the link

and, that I am as skinny as a spead snake, when most of the technical divers here who use those large bottle are possibly three times my size?

Venus

In spite of all the dimensions in that link being clearly indicated you still don't know what the measurements are?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom