1970 US Diver's LP72 - Lined or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well that is great to hear. A buddy of mine has 2 lined tanks sitting in his basement. He knows he can't get a VIP from anyone (especially not me) and so the tanks just sit there full, waiting for their final dive. But if I could tumble it out for him, that would be great. Any suggestions about what media to use and for how long?

I agree with the folks questioning a steel Catalina.

Tumble with small sheet metal screws for twenty minutes. Finish with glass bead until clean. The screws cut the liner and allow it to peel off.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

PST = CL stamp? That makes zero sense. lol.

It's a PST then!

The CL stamp is the stamp for Cochran laboratories. They were the independent inspection agency that PST used to certify and hydro all of their tanks after manufacture before they want into the marketplace.

The CL stamp is the stamp for Cochran laboratories. They were the independent inspection agency that PST used to certify and hydro all of their tanks after manufacture before they want into the marketplace.

Ahhh okay. Makes sense now!

Well, there's some new pictures on my last post. Hopefully they give a better view of the interior.

I was thinking the bottom made it look lined, but there is no transition, so it seems to be just metal?

PST = CL stamp? That makes zero sense. lol.

It's a PST then!

Hmm, it was yellow epoxy on the the outside...but I didn't notice an obvious liner. My LP108 has a liner, and the whole thing is a burgundy color.

Was a steel-gray liner ever used?

CL is Cochran Labs the tester PST used for initial hydro.

If there is nothing wrong with the lining why would you want to remove it? The tank will pass hydro with the lining in place as long as it is in good shape.

It can not pass VIP according to DOT regs because you can not inspect for damage under the lining.

It can not pass VIP according to DOT regs because you can not inspect for damage under the lining.

The DOT regs have nothing to do with the VIP inspection. The yearly VIP inspection is a scuba industry invention. I just had a hydro on a lined tank a couple of years ago with no problem at all. If you are going to a LDS that will not inspect a lined tank find yourself another shop.

If the lining is smooth with no blisters ( like you see when rust forms under paint on a car ) or flaking it should not be an issue. I have a linded tank that passes hydro and inspection every time.

Well that is great to hear. A buddy of mine has 2 lined tanks sitting in his basement. He knows he can't get a VIP from anyone (especially not me) and so the tanks just sit there full, waiting for their final dive. But if I could tumble it out for him, that would be great. Any suggestions about what media to use and for how long?

I agree with the folks questioning a steel Catalina.

I have several old steel 72s with linings and I have no trouble getting them hydroed and VIPed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom