18/2 Carol cord + Argo gland = PITA?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ToddK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I'm running into a roadblock on my canister dive light that I didn't anticipate. Trying to get the cord through the Argo gland is becoming a monumental challenge. I purchased both the cord & gland from the same DIY supplier (Oxycheq, I think), so these should play well together, and they look well matched.
The cord has to go through three choke points on the gland: a very thick oring/grommet, a plastic bushing that pushes on the oring as the gland is tightened, and the strain relief on the outside of the gland. All three of these choke points have been very tough to get the cord through. I found that putting some Christolube on the oring makes the cord slide through easily. I didn't have any such luck with the plastic bushing. I ended up putting the bushing on my lathe, and over boring the hole by 0.015-0.020", so that the cord slides nicely now. On the strain relief, I cut off the last two rings on the relief, to increase the diameter slightly. After doing this, I was able to slide the cord about 4" after using plenty of Christolube and a pair of pliers.
Anyhow, it seems like I'm working way too hard, is there a trick that I'm missing? I'm thinking about either tossing the cord in the freezer, or putting the strain relief into hot water for a while. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Todd.

There is a product called rubber lube to help with that. If you don't have any, use a dilute of dish soap and water to lube the rubber cord as it passes through the restrictions.

I found out that the Agro used by DR gave me the same problem. For some reason Salvo used a different glad that works better. I did the same you did, just trim down the strain relief. Try KY Jelly...

Thanks for the tips. I cut the third ring off of the strain relief, and while I noticed an improvement with cutting off the first two, the third didn't help. I tried the dish soap & water but it didn't help, however, I think I was way too lean on the dish soap.
I dunked the gland in some steaming water, and was able to pull it partly through, and then repeated the process a few more times, to get the gland where I needed it.

When I'm installing seals in large pumps. STP Oil treatment is the best lubricant. Just a drop or two really works.

I found out that the Agro used by DR gave me the same problem. For some reason Salvo used a different glad that works better. I did the same you did, just trim down the strain relief. Try KY Jelly...

THe company formally known as Salvo (or any of it other names) used the same gland (1017.52 / M16x1.5)... Cords alway vary in diameter on different runs. On EO cords the inner part of the gland & compression ring was turned slightly on a lathe and on some cable runs. Then the strain relief is trimmed. Silicone spray was/is used when inserting the cable.

http://www.oxycheq.com/download/DIY_Parts.pdf

Take a look at the information with the gland...

Br,

Dwain

Thanks guys. You're right Dwain, I missed that. I got the parts from Oxycheq several months ago so I must have forgotten that tip. Had I remembered, I wouldn't have been so worried about the fit.

I am using the same Agro glands, also adquired from Oxychecq, for this project:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/298240-replacement-mc-e-led-head-canister-divelight.html

Photos of the actual cable I am using:
DSCF7136.JPG

DSCF7137.JPG

Since I was using new cord, I just went to the local hardware store and looked for the right type of cord (per the "Divelight Companion" book), and then selected the right diameter to fit the cable gland. The one I ended up buying (as in the photos above) fits to perfectly as if it were designed to fit the Agro gland.

If you need to have your Agro gland fitted to your cord, let me know as I have a lathe and would be more than happy to do it for free - just pay the postage (I live in Dallas, TX).

Will

Hi Will,
That cord looks like a good tip. Thank you for your generous offer on the lathe. I have a HF 8x12 lathe at home, so I bored out the gland yesterday, and finally got it to screw together this morning. On my next gland, I'm going to be more generous with the amount of overboring so that it goes together easier. BTW, I've seen your posts on candlepower forums, you do amazing work! I'm also quite jealous of the tooling you have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom