15th Anniversary of Spiegel Grove Sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20 year medallion ?? I still have one of the original 'required' medals.
Maybe there will be a 20th anniversary celebration this year.

When I first started diving in Florida, I only knew about the Florida Keys. Starting in 2004, I would go down early for business trips to Miami and spend several days in Key Largo before going up to Miami for my business meetings. I did 5 dives on the Spiegel Grove in 2004 and 2005 while it was on its starboard side. Up until 2009, I did 15 more dives on the Spiegel Grove after it was flipped upright by Hurricane Dennis.

In 2007 I had a business trip to Jupiter and did a couple of drift dives and was sold. I spent several years investigating between Fort Lauderdale and Jupiter. It took until 2011 for us to buy a townhouse in Hypoluxo, just north of Boynton Beach. I haven't been back down to Key Largo since 2009 with the exception of a trip on Frank Wasson's Spree in 2015 to do the Florida Wreck Trek. We did 4 more dives on the Spiegel Grove in addition to dives on the Duane, Eagle, Thunderbolt, Adolphus Busch, and the Vandenberg.

The Spiegel Grove is a great dive, I really need to get back down to Key Largo to dive it, along with the Duane and Bibb. There are a couple of deep drifts on Molasses and French that are nice too.

I still have my Florida Keys wreck diving medallions for 2004-9. After that, I bought a lifetime medallion that I have down in Florida. I will use it one of these days and look for my name on one of the memorial plaques :)

1674596001251.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom