14yr old came up at end of 2nd open water dive and is now scared

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i dove today and it was 44 degrees, i could not imagine doing OW dives today. the best advise i could give would be; take it slow, keep it fun and if he doesnt finish it now he may in the future. i wish him the best!

I know that this may not be what you want to hear, but...

Diving isn't for everyone. :shrug:

Keep at it.

Children tend to be the best students. They fly by the academics because school is so common to them.

They understand pool work because they tend to take so many "lessons".

The OW stuff..yeah, it can be hard. Especially because that is the place where grown-ups expect them to fall into the group and perform as adults.

And of course that is not possible.

Take your time. And cold water does not help.

Kids rock.

whew!!!!!thought it was a senior moment......

Nope, it's not you. I've never seen that dude post anything useful or, for that matter, intelligible on this board. It's like he only posts after he drinks the bong water or something. Very annoying.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I do want to go back to the training requirements and the training sequence. I don't know what agency you are talking about, but if it it PADI, both were violated and may have had a lot to do with the problem.

As others have noted, there is no requirement for keeping a mask off for one minute, and doing this in 43° water is even worse--by far. Someone used the word "sadistic." That might be accurate.

No one has mentioned that there is supposed to be a sequence to these skills, and that sequence is important. Here is the sequence.

Dive One: No under water skills are performed. Divers get used to the water and the surroundings.

Dive Two: Partial mask flood and full mask flood. This breaks the divers in to doing these skills in an environment they are still getting used to.

Dive Three: Another full mask flood and clear--still getting used to doing the skills in this environment.

Dive Four: Mask removal and replacement--no required time without mask. By now the students should be comfortable and prepared for this skill.​

I suggest you contact your training organization to ask about their procedures and their philosophy about the sequence of skill performance.

Nope, it's not you. I've never seen that dude post anything useful or, for that matter, intelligible on this board. It's like he only posts after he drinks the bong water or something. Very annoying.

"whew" thought it was just me! Takes all kinds and there are probably some who enjoy those posts.. maybe they are smoking whacky tabbaccy tho:idk:

Thanks for all the great input. The first underwater dive they did some skills but also just got used to the water. I haven't talked with the owner/instructor yet regarding the "one minute" rule.
Having my son get his face used to the water before putting on the mask makes so much sense that I'm surprised the instructor here didn't think of it. We have a big soaking tub that he is going to fill with cold water, get his face used to it, then try the mask requirement. He will be wearing his wet suit in the tub, I need a picture of this... I'm thinking that having my husband there armed with all the great info I've received from this site will help a lot. He won't hesitate to bring up all the ideas and make sure that the instructor uses them. For $200.00 a pop for a private lesson I think the customer should have some input, especially if it is from other instructors. I am interested in what he says about why they require the one minute but PADI doesn't. We live a good distance away so until we head back up I won't be asking. I think this is a face to face question, not an e-mail question. We are going to wait until April/May for my son to try again, I know it will still be cold, if he doesn't pass this time I guess we will get a referral and see what we can do in Turks and Caicos.
Again, I do appreciate all your input, thank you for all the combined knowledge.

Mask removal for 1 minute in 43 degree water, what's the point? Freezing eyeballs?

I like Dave's post. An excellent teacher gets to the level of the student and communicates at their level.

Parents can be ineffective teachers in some areas. In diving one must depend on their own skills not on a parent.

I would hire Dave or someone with his skill sets with children. I would have all parents and relatives seperate. He needs to be indepentantly skilled. Even if a parent does not say anything there is presure or enabling stuff that goes on even if it is unintentional. Kids want to please parents.

I was a Ski Instructor for years and learned that you teach kids differently than adults. Games and play are excellent techniques to set kids at ease and to build skill sets.

Sounds like you are great parents and are giving your kids great opportunities in life.

Happy Diving.

I am interested in what he says about why they require the one minute but PADI doesn't.
I was always under the impression that PADI didn't allow their instructors to require a higher standard than the PADI standards specify....

I was always under the impression that PADI didn't allow their instructors to require a higher standard than the PADI standards specify....

As I said in my last post, there are two standards violations in what was described--both the requirement and the sequence violate standards.

Back
Top Bottom