13 Week Jog/Walk program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Vlahos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are about a million different strategies to running. I have looked and I found one I am happy with.

First a little background. I am now 45 years old and at 6’ 0” and 216 lbs. I need to work at loosing some fat, and gaining some muscle. When I was in High School I was rail thin and was on the Track and Cross Country teams, I enjoyed running, but suffered a few relatively minor but memorable injuries to my knees. With these memories of sore knee joints I wanted to start training with a plan, and not just go out and run ‘til it hurt. Also, at 45 I need to worry about the old cardiac muscle more than I did at age 15.

My research lead me to the book “The Beginning Runner's Handbook” and the qualities of the program it espouses. The program is built around a nice gradual 13 week time frame that takes a reasonably healthy couch potato from their starting condition to being able to run in a 10K. I am not interested in competing so I don’t really care about 10K races, I just want to be fit enough to run that distance without fear of injury. The program starts out very gradually and lays out general goals, but provides specific workouts for the entire course. The workouts are entirely based on time and not distance, so they are easier to fit into a busy schedule.

One of the main goals of the program is to prevent joint injury. It starts out with lots of walking and short bits of running, eventually adding more running time while decreasing the walking time. You will be doing a workout 3 days a week for the entire 13 week course. This program is gradual enough that your heart, other muscles, and joints can build up to the longer workouts slowly.

My problems in the past with trying to start a running regimen has always been that I have started too aggressively, the idea of “no pain, no gain” has not worked for me.

I am in week 7 right now, and can strongly recommend this program. They also have a 13 week walking program to take an unfit person to a position where they can start the jog walk program, as well as a 13 week program to get you running that 10K faster. Lets face it 3, 6, or 9 months is a pretty gradual process.

My only complaint about the workouts is the relatively complex timing needed to follow each different days workout. My final solution was to just record sound files that tell me when to run or when to walk and play them on my iPod. It is like a stopwatch in my ear. I like to relax when I run so I don’t like constantly looking at my watch to follow an exact timetable, unfortunately these workouts do require some pretty specific clock watching, since these workouts are all built around how long you workout and not distance. My little sound files completely solved this problem and allow me to Zen out and just go.

Thank you SportMedBC,

Mark Vlahos

Run-walk programs are so successful that even some elite athletes train that way. Jeff Galloway also has a program (http://runinjuryfree.com/) that is pretty well-tested, and it got me my second-fastest marathon time in an Ironman after a back injury kept me from running more than one hour total during training.

Don't get too caught up in the specific times for each run or walk interval. Early on, it's good to follow these programs, but after some experience, you'll get the idea of what you need to do based upon your own fitness. The iPod thing is definitely a cool solution.

BTW, running is great for the knees- bad running, on the other hand, is bad for the knees. Contrary to conventional wisdom, there is actually no contact whatesoever between the articular surfaces of the cartilage in a healthy knee when running. Synovial fluid is circulated through the joint space every time you flex your knee, and the viscocity keeps the fluid from squishing out during the load phase of your stride. This is how motor oil works, too.

Of course, muscle imbalances can pull the patella into a sub-optimal track, causing it to rub, for example. Also, injuring a meniscus (usually doing something other than running or by twisting your knee) will create a place where the synovial fluid cannot do its job- just like getting a scratch in a piston or cylinder.

With your experience, I'm sure you already know this, but the best advice I can is to make sure you invest in running shoes fitted by running experts, not some mall shoe store. Dedicate them to running so that the midsole stays fresh.

Good luck with your program, and keep us posted on your progress!

Cameron

CameronMartz:
Run-walk programs are so successful that even some elite athletes train that way. Jeff Galloway also has a program (http://runinjuryfree.com/) that is pretty well-tested, and it got me my second-fastest marathon time in an Ironman after a back injury kept me from running more than one hour total during training.

Don't get too caught up in the specific times for each run or walk interval. Early on, it's good to follow these programs, but after some experience, you'll get the idea of what you need to do based upon your own fitness. The iPod thing is definitely a cool solution.
The iPod sound files really allow me freedom from the clock without forgetting about time. I put on the headphones and just go. I am free to day dream, or concentrate on my stride, whatever I want to do. I tried it with my wristwatch, and a stopwatch, both involved too much fretting over time. The sound files made a big difference for me. If there is enough interest I could post them here on the board or send them to others interested in this specific program.
CameronMartz:
BTW, running is great for the knees- bad running, on the other hand, is bad for the knees. Contrary to conventional wisdom, there is actually no contact whatesoever between the articular surfaces of the cartilage in a healthy knee when running. Synovial fluid is circulated through the joint space every time you flex your knee, and the viscocity keeps the fluid from squishing out during the load phase of your stride. This is how motor oil works, too.

Of course, muscle imbalances can pull the patella into a sub-optimal track, causing it to rub, for example. Also, injuring a meniscus (usually doing something other than running or by twisting your knee) will create a place where the synovial fluid cannot do its job- just like getting a scratch in a piston or cylinder.

With your experience, I'm sure you already know this, but the best advice I can is to make sure you invest in running shoes fitted by running experts, not some mall shoe store. Dedicate them to running so that the midsole stays fresh.

Good luck with your program, and keep us posted on your progress!

Cameron
Shoes are really inportant and I have a good pair dedicated to running.

My long term goals are to end up at around 175 pounds. With changes in my diet, and exercise I have lost 5 pounds in the last 7 weeks. I am willing to loose weight slowly as my metabolism adjusts. It took years to gain the weight, I do not need to loose it overnight. I am not "on a diet," nor am I exercising "to loose weight," but rather I am changing my diet and exercise to take me to, and keep me at, a more appropriate weight and fitness level.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
My long term goals are to end up at around 175 pounds. With changes in my diet, and exercise I have lost 5 pounds in the last 7 weeks. I am willing to loose weight slowly as my metabolism adjusts. It took years to gain the weight, I do not need to loose it overnight. I am not "on a diet," nor am I exercising "to loose weight," but rather I am changing my diet and exercise to take me to, and keep me at, a more appropriate weight and fitness level.

Mark Vlahos

Mark,

I'm faced with the "fix it right now" attitude from so many of my new clients that this is very refreshing to read. You will have no problem reaching that goal with the approach you're taking.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom